Set number of workspaces in Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robert3242

Set number of workspaces in Cinnamon

Post by robert3242 »

I recently switched over to Mint from Debian and first tried Mint 14 with Cinnamon. I found that both Mint in general and Cinnamon in particular ran extraordinarily smoothly and well, but I did run into one annoying issue I couldn't solve. Cinnamon seems to have no way to set the number of workspaces available. That being the case, every once in a while I'd be using some desktop application (often VLC in full-screen mode) and the app would suddenly shift to the other workspace. I disabled the "Hot Corner" feature, thinking maybe that was the problem, but that didn't help. Under other DEs I'm familiar with, normally the user can stipulate how many workspaces he/she wants. I always go for a single one, but didn't seem to have that option in this case.

It was annoying enough that I ended up going with Mint 13 (I like LTS editions) with Mate for now, but although Mate's a fine DE too, I'd readily switch back to Cinnamon but for that one issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eanfrid

Re: Set number of workspaces in Cinnamon

Post by eanfrid »

robert3242 wrote:I recently switched over to Mint from Debian and first tried Mint 14 with Cinnamon. I found that both Mint in general and Cinnamon in particular ran extraordinarily smoothly and well, but I did run into one annoying issue I couldn't solve. Cinnamon seems to have no way to set the number of workspaces available.
This is not an issue at all :shock: There are at least 3 ways to do this: by using the hot corner and adding/deleting workspaces from there, by using dconf-editor in Cinnamon menu (find "number of workspaces") or directly on the CLI: (for example):

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.cinnamon number-workspaces 6
and the app would suddenly shift to the other workspace
looks like you enabled the "edge flip" function in Cinnamon Windows settings :)
robert3242

Post by robert3242 »

Good info and I'll probably go back to Cinnamon for my next install. I liked it a lot. Never occurred to me to try to use the Hot Corner before disabling it. Using the gconf editor did occur to me, but while I knew something about Gnome2, I know nothing of Gnome3 or Cinnamon in that regard. I didn't even notice the "edge flip" function, but no doubt I simply missed it. Your info was all good and much appreciated.
tlwest

Post by tlwest »

Double Thanks! Worked for me. Any chance of this making it into the FAQ? :D
deep64blue
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deep64blue »

eanfrid wrote:This is not an issue at all :shock: There are at least 3 ways to do this: by using the hot corner and adding/deleting workspaces from there, by using dconf-editor in Cinnamon menu (find "number of workspaces") or directly on the CLI: (for example):

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.cinnamon number-workspaces 6
and the app would suddenly shift to the other workspace
looks like you enabled the "edge flip" function in Cinnamon Windows settings :)
I'm looking to set this permanently but there is no package dconf-editor and that command line is accepted but does nothing.

Running Cinnamon on Ubuntu 12.04.
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

deep64blue wrote:I'm looking to set this permanently but there is no package dconf-editor ...
You need to install dconf-tools package.

When installed, open dconf-editor from Menu > System Tools -
Click down arrow next to org, click on cinnamon, in right pane scroll down to number-workspaces
Click on the line to right of number-workspaces (twice), enter number required, press enter
Restart cinnamon
and that command line is accepted but does nothing.
Again, you have to restart cinnamon to see the change.
rwest

Post by rwest »

Thank you very much, this information was of great help, :D

Return to “Cinnamon”