Could someone in the UK test this for me please?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Could someone in the UK test this for me please?

Post by tpprynn »

Flashplayer is working on YouTube, Vimeo, and BBC iPlayer. Nothing new will play on 4od though, when using Linux Mint (14, KDE, 64 bit and 32 bit Cinnamon 14), though archived programs seem fine.

These two don't:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od/ ... -dont-work
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derek/4od#3483578

This does:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/nath ... od#3273161

4od stuff on YouTube is fine and though while googling I saw things about a 'hosts file' that might be involved, there seem to be no entries in mine at etc/hosts that are relevant and nothing in hosts.allow or hosts.deny except commented out notes.

These things will play on my Windows 7 netbook though, and also on my Kobo Arc Android tablet which weirdly is supposed to be crippled as far as Flash goes.

I tried Chromium and Firefox. I tried with Adblock Plus on and off. I tried with my install and with a live USB stick. I've just downloaded Solus OS to see if that works. Kubuntu 12.10 on a live usb stick with flashplugin installed gives the same results as Mint so nothing to gain by switching to that.

Can you let me know if this is the same with you? Probably you'd have to be in the UK. (Don't bother watching Derek though, it's a mess...) I'm curious to know if it's something in the makeup of mint's codecs as installed or whether something else I added is involved, for instance a little bit of downgrading or replacing occurs when you install OpenShot to accommodate rendering videos using XVid, similar to how Iused to find that get-iplayer would get issues if I also installed Audacity.

Is there a way of debugging this or seeing what exactly is hanging when the 4od show will not start?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Could someone in the UK test this for me please?

Post by catweazel »

The meaning of 'doesn't work' is undefined.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn »

I get the turning arrow/disc thing that you'd get if something may be about to start, but that justs hangs there turning. The shows that are archived on that site do play after the briefest pause as normal.

Also, the problem wasn't present using Solus OS as live usb just now (newest version seemingly still using Gnome 2 and not even Mate). This was true with and without Adblock Plus. So hopefully there is just some simple thing to add, remove or tweak. My install is fully updated.
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn »

This seems to be to do with 'digital rights error 3322' as another computer running Debian 7 rc tells me. Resetting flash licences as suggested by Channel 4 doesn't work though.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Try media-hint for firefox or chrome.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Sound”