How does the Update Pack system work?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

How does the Update Pack system work?

Postby bananabob on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:11 pm

I currently use LM12 and am thinking of changing to LMDE.

This morning I received an update to Firefox - I presume this was a security update.

If LMDE updates software by the update pack method would I still receive thes security updates to Firefox or whatever needed them?

Cheers
James
bananabob
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How does the Update Pack system work?

Postby rop75 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:42 pm

LMDE consists of two groups of packages:

Packages that come directly from Debian testing repositories: These packages are only updated when Update packages are released (if a really important security risk is detected, the LMDE team might release the patch to fix it as an exception; but generally speaking LMDE users only get security or any other kind of updates for these packages when the UP are released ). This is the biggest and most important group.

Packages that come from Linux MInt Debian repository: These packages (that include Mozilla Firefox) get all kind of updates more often. You can find a list of these packages here
rop75
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How does the Update Pack system work?

Postby bananabob on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks for your amazingly quick and concise reply
bananabob
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions