Just installed Mint but cannot make the network secure

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Photon

Just installed Mint but cannot make the network secure

Post by Photon »

I have tried to get the wireless network to accept the WAP security code. I go to network and then editing wirelss connections > Wireless security> WAP personal and then install the security numbers and letters. 'SAVE' doesn't come up it is greyed out? Hope you can assist

Tony
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Photon

Re: Just installed Mint but cannot make the network secure

Post by Photon »

Hi guys is there anyone that can give me advice here fro my security?
themraw435

Post by themraw435 »

Just to get a better understanding I'm going to ask a few other questions. I am assuming you have WPA security set up on your router correct? And is wireless showing up at all? I know when doing a fresh install of linux the wireless does not work right away. After a fresh install I normally hard wire via ethernet then run "sudo apt-get update" from terminal and it will pull down the wireless drivers necessary for my device. If you can see the wireless there already and just can't access it because you can not enter the security code then let me know I will try to recreate the issue and see if I can find a fix :)
Photon

Post by Photon »

First let me appolagise as I live on 300mg morphine a day so get confused easily. I have hard wired internet to my router. When I set up the router it did not ask me to input my security I just went straight in. When I found the security area I tried to input the long code and it would not allow me to do so. My Windows OS and my wireless HP printer use the WAP and security code. This Linux Mint hasn't allowed me to set it up. Or, it might be simply I have gone into the wrong sofware and done it all wrong. If so where do I go to input the WAP and install the security to the router?
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

It is either WEP or WPA wireless security, not WAP ??
--and if windows OS sees it, you have the code there on the windows OS network setups, you should be able to copy it to a removable device, eg a USB drive and then reuse that code under Linux OS (copy & paste function)

Wireless security protocols (WEP or WPA)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-SG/wind ... ss-network
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/winx ... dowsxp.htm
It would also help to know the hardware you are using, that is the router device and the Network device (NIC-Network Interface Card) usb or built-in (included on the mainboard of the computer..)
http://beginlinux.com/twitter/1096-ubun ... less-setup

You possibly need a gksudo to prefix the network manager application when starting the network, if you are not using the admin (earlier Mint versions) or sudo group (later mint versions) account to setup that wireless client
--if you are, then the save option if the data entries you used are correct will save the file for you..
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Ubuntu some manual setups, user specified may not be saving ?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/283233
  • It doesn't hurt to scan through this material, it is a quick read, just pay attention only to what your edit problem is!
    --that's a way to avoid reading every item and piece of information
--you will have to check exactly what you are entering as data, or just try making a new connection, leave the one that fails in place, until you see if you can save the data!
Photon

Post by Photon »

Thanks for all the info. Shall have to get my morphined brain to slowly dissect it all. I have a D-Link 2740R and I did get the wpa and wap mixed up as usual. Thanks for all the info. I had copied and pasted the security but it hadn't accepted the code. So I shall have to TRY and slowly digest all this reading (which I am not good at digesting info) and make sense of it all
Photon

Post by Photon »

I am thinking none of this is giving me the answer I am looking for. I should not have been able to link Linux Mint straight into my router without the security code!? So I have no idea how it connected. However its wired in with a ethernet cable and I am looking how to ensure the security code is used with WPA. As stated before my printer and Windows7 are secure with WPA. I shall keep looking but I do get easily confused
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

If you are hard wired into the router then no password is required. Can you see any wireless connection then you select connect to a wireless network?

Return to “Networking”