Why Windows (8) drove me to linux

Chat about Linux in general

Why Windows (8) drove me to linux

Postby shawnw on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:20 am

I had an old system I used for, get this for 9 years. i used windows 2000 from 1999 to 2008. When I got my new system in 2008 it had vista on it. that was a bit of a learning curve. Then I heard of a free trial of winows 8 that you could download and use before windows 8 came out. I thought great. I just built a new desktop system and was useing my old vista copy. And online said that the new windows 8 OS was going to be cheap.

Ok now it gets good. 1 first download of the iso was properly burnt to the dvd but wouldn't boot. 2 second download would boot but would ask for a password and the microsoft password on their web site would not work. 3 third download finally worked but took three installation attempts to get it up and going!! I was pretty pissed but glad it was finally over at this point. boy was i wrong.

As stated above I had a bit of trouble adapting from 2000 to vista, this was a complete culture shock. I was totally lost. No start button. the power off button was in settings?! windows movie maker was removed and now you have to pay for a bunch of stuff you did get free with vista or 7. Just about everything was counter intuitive. they had terrible help and tutorials. I used it for about a month and did like the tiles. but for a desktop invironment it totally sucked in my opinon. Had i owned a touch screan or tablet it might have been different. But microsoft should have had a desktop friendly version. I thought do I really want to pay money for this crap? Nooooooooooooo!!! So i ended up buying a copy of windows 7 professional for 60 bucks.

i thought is there any alternatives out there? Then I remembered i had a college roommate who loved linux (this was back in 96-98). I tried ubuntu first. I had some trouble with intallation but got it up and running. Well back to culture shock and i was totally lost again. Did more research and found zorin os. i liked it but gave me trouble with my video card (nvidia 210). then i found mint. All hardware seems to work execpt my wireless network card (belkin G) so I am using a 50 foot cable intead. Love mint so far. Its easy to adapt to. I've been learning alot. I removed libre 3.6 and put on 4.0. i pretty proud of my self for having previously 0 experiance in linux. Although i need to get a book on all the terminal commands. so far i am very happy with linux mint but will need to keep windows 7 around because my lexmark 8350 printer has no support in linux :( Other wise I would give up windows entirely.

So whats your story?
shawnw
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Why Windows (8) drove me to linux

Postby dee. on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:54 am

shawnw wrote:Although i need to get a book on all the terminal commands.

http://linux.die.net/man/

shawnw wrote:So whats your story?

I got to reading stuff about windows and microsoft's corporate abuses, and was also getting tired of windows XP's limitations, weekly antivirus scans, etc. So I started using Ubuntu back when 11.04 came out, the buggy Unity back then turned me off - luckily I found the LTS version, 10.04 which worked nicely for me, but I didn't fully move to use Linux until 12.04 came out - after I installed it, I never booted into windows again (except a couple of times when I had to shrink the partition to get more room for Linux). Then recently I switched to Mint 13 because Ubuntu started going in a direction that I couldn't abide. Now I'm happy with Mint 13 with backported Cinnamon.
dee.
Level 4
Level 4

Postby JWJones on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:09 am

Happily, Windows has never driven me anywhere. I started my computing life in 1977 with an Apple II. From there, there was a break in computing until I began using Macs in 1986. I am a prepress technician in the commercial printing industry, which is ruled by Macs for workstations for prepress, Windows servers, Windows desktops for the sales, customer service, and administrative folks. I spend a lot of time cleaning up the Windows PCs of those folks, removing malware, and switching them from the crap-combo of IE and Outlook, to Thunderbird and Firefox. I began using Linux in about 1999-2000, out of curiosity. In prepress, we tend to have an abundance of new, used, and decommissioned PC hardware to play around with.

I started out by actually buying Red Hat from a brick-and-mortar software store, and tried a long succession of distros over the years. I still use Macs daily for work, and have an iMac at home for the family. My personal rig is a ThinkPad T61, with LMDE Cinnamon on it (right now, anyway :lol: ). At work, I have two Linux boxes: one with Debian Wheezy (Xfce) and one with Slackware 14 (Xfce). I pretty much stay close to the source distros of Debian and Slackware, with occasional forays into Arch territory. I do not use *buntus.
JWJones
Level 2
Level 2

Postby igor83 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:12 pm

shawnw wrote:I had an old system I used for, get this for 9 years. i used windows 2000 from 1999 to 2008. When I got my new system in 2008 it had vista on it. that was a bit of a learning curve. Then I heard of a free trial of winows 8 that you could download and use before windows 8 came out. I thought great. I just built a new desktop system and was useing my old vista copy. And online said that the new windows 8 OS was going to be cheap.

My experience is much the same as yours, except I used MS-DOS 3.1 back in the 1980's which gives you some idea how long in the tooth I am. I spent over a decade using Windows 2000, and I can't tell you how many times my registry got corrupted on that thing, requiring long and tedious interventions, until I finally upgraded to XP which was far more stable, and I used that for a long time as well, but then Windows gave me trouble with a new 2.5tb hard drive, so I reasoned that I could try Linux, since my only purpose with the large hard drive was for an htpc. I tried Linux Mint and found out that Linux had no problem handling it.

On the subject of large hard drives, I used to think UEFI/GPT/"Secure boot" was great, but now I think it's just another Microshaft of the consumer. I prefer whatever solution Linus Torvalds & Co. come up with. I don't think I want to trust any large drives to the whims of Microsoft.

I've played around with OpenSuse too, but I think Linux Mint is pretty great all around. I'm not very interested in any other distros besides OpenSuse and Linux Mint. And when it comes to Linux Mint, I use Xfce for htpc, and KDE for the laptop.

I kept an open mind about Windows though, and do have two Windows systems around, because I felt like I needed a good image editor and of course Call Clerk. But for my laptop and my htpc, Linux serves admirably. In fact I would never in a million years switch from Linux. There are two things Linux is great at--Internet surfing and serving up multimedia. It's pretty good at word processing and programming, too. I think the LibreOffice suite serves all my modest needs and when I need to use macros on plaintext, I fire up Jedit.
My desktop runs 64-bit Kubuntu 13.04, my htpc runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia Xfce, my answering machine runs 64-bit windows 7, and my laptop runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia KDE. Each seems suited to its purpose.
igor83
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Chat about Linux