[SOLVED] Menu missing "Office" applications

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JoeInMN

[SOLVED] Menu missing "Office" applications

Post by JoeInMN »

Hello,

I run LM13 KDE on my Asus EEE netbook. It runs just fine, but a few days ago I decided to install XFCE as well, to see whether it would be any lighter/faster on this machine. It runs OK too, though I much prefer using KDE. However, and whether this was entirely an effect of the XFCE installation or not, I don't know, when I went back to KDE I found the main menu (both Kickoff and Lancelot) had been rearranged, and was missing a number of the KDE-related items. I went into the menu editor and tried adding some things back, and somehow the menu ended up completely devoid of applications. Favorites were still there, and applications would launch through the search box, but all of the submenus for Education/Games/Utilities etc. were gone. I ran kbuildsycoca4 -noincremental in a terminal as suggested by several posts in other forums, and this seemed to restore the menu, but I soon noticed that the rather important "Office" submenu is still missing. My question obviously is, is there a way to completely restore the menu structure, without having to manually build it in the editor? I don't think I can remember the command lines for a lot of the things I use.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeInMN

Re: Menu missing "Office" applications

Post by JoeInMN »

New wrinkle: WiFi is down at the house, so I have been online in coffee shops. When I got home last night after posting the above, I started up the netbook and saw that the Office applications had reappeared (Libreoffice, E-book reader, AbiWord etc.). Now that I've started up here to post that the problem had resolved itself, however, I find that the Office section has again disappeared. Quite annoying, really.
Malsasa

Post by Malsasa »

In KDE forum, I see SOLVED thread with same problem (menu is missing): upgrading KDE solves this problem. You have same problem like me ;) I use now KDE 4.8, same version as release time of Ubuntu 12.04. I never update my system.

All decisions is yours.
JoeInMN

Post by JoeInMN »

Malsasa wrote:In KDE forum, I see SOLVED thread with same problem (menu is missing): upgrading KDE solves this problem. You have same problem like me ;) I use now KDE 4.8, same version as release time of Ubuntu 12.04. I never update my system.

All decisions is yours.
Thanks, but now I've found that doing Edit / Restore to System Menu in the Menu Editor fixes it, as far as I can tell.

Return to “Software & Applications”