HTPC using APU

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
kbkb

HTPC using APU

Post by kbkb »

Anyone with advice on a low power computer that I can run 1080P movies flawless with a little elbow room that works well with LMDE?
I've been considering an APU. My greatest concern is compatibility ( video drivers in particular)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
igor83

Re: HTPC using APU

Post by igor83 »

I have an AMD E-350, use VLC as a video player, and it drags playing 720p unless I dial down the quality settings. I have not tried 1080p.
That said, you may have better luck with a beefier APU of the 65 W variety. Because VLC will bypass / ignore most of the GPU capability, resorting to the CPU.

The central problem with AMD's low wattage offerings is that many video players fail to make optimal use of ATI's GPU. The only one that claims to make good use of it is XBMC, but I have not been able to get XBMC to run without crashing on my PC, so I use VLC.
I tried installing OpenElec too, and after killing a morning and an afternoon and a USB stick, that did not work.

If you intend to use Linux, I do not recommend the low wattage AMD offerings due to the problems you will encounter trying to get them to play HD video content in Linux. At least consider the Intel 35 W g630t's using socket LGA 1155.

I had a weird problem with one of my ASUS E35M1-M's where it ate a keyboard, a mouse, and a USB stick. Got hungry one morning I guess. Needless to say I went to the ASUS web site and found updates for the BIOS and under the release notes: "Fix for USB device compatibility." I'll say, if you define incompatibility as digestion of USB devices. $30 worth of destroyed USB devices was a hefty hidden cost for these boards.

Not an AMD fan anymore. I don't think AMD gains anything from its merger with ATI.
ghstinshll

Post by ghstinshll »

Just today I built my new HTPC.

Silverstone case
RiadMax PSU
MSI FM2-A&%MA-E35 board (with ATI 7480 video integrated for the APU)
AMD A4-3500 APU
8GB G.Skill DDR3
2.5" drive
3.5" drive
Windows 8

Built it, installed Catalyst Control Center, installed Virtual Clone Drive, installed XBMC, mounted my test ISO, ran in XBMC, and it ran like crap.

Installed the K-Lite codec pack & VLC, and it plays nicely.

Any GOOD versions of Mint I can put on this, with XBMC to get a stable build?
igor83

Post by igor83 »

haven't had any luck at all with XBMC + any kind of AMD/ATI gpu. Stick with VLC is my suggestion. I don't shop for anything made by AMD anymore. The only type of cpu I consider is Intel. Intel works well with Linux. If you have your heart set on XBMC then you might try OpenElec. I couldn't get their version 2 to install, but maybe they have figured out how to get it to work. My crap ASUS motherboard fried the USB drive that had OpenElec on it, so I'm not exactly eager to try OpenElec out again. When they figure out how to create .ISO files for DVD then I may give them another shot. But I doubt it, because OpenElec's a one-note Charlie.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

ghstinshll wrote:Just today I built my new HTPC.

Silverstone case
RiadMax PSU
MSI FM2-A&%MA-E35 board (with ATI 7480 video integrated for the APU)
AMD A4-3500 APU
8GB G.Skill DDR3
2.5" drive
3.5" drive
Windows 8

Built it, installed Catalyst Control Center, installed Virtual Clone Drive, installed XBMC, mounted my test ISO, ran in XBMC, and it ran like crap.

Installed the K-Lite codec pack & VLC, and it plays nicely.

Any GOOD versions of Mint I can put on this, with XBMC to get a stable build?
My htpc is an intel sandy bridge celeron with 4gb powered by an 80 bronze 300w seasonic. I haven't seen it use more than 60w. Its 5400 rpm WD Green drive boots in 18 seconds with Linux Mint Nadia XFCE. I have Thunar open up in two windows at boot, my music dir and my videos dir. A few clicks plays my show. I use VLC and have some intel drivers installed. Easy-peasey. Total rig cost < $300. Keyboard connected via 20' ps/2 cable under the carpet. Mouse connected via 20' usb cable under the carpet. No problems... No problems... just my shows, just my shows. I would never in 1,000 years use Windows again for htpc... I used to use Windows XP for htpc duty years ago... too many problems...too much wasted time waiting for it to boot...antivirus... windows update...reboots...issues...problems. Then you add $75 to the cost just for what? windows?

Return to “Open Chat”