Help! Where are the "floating feets" in Cinnamon?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Help! Where are the "floating feets" in Cinnamon?

Post by este.el.paz »

Folks:

Somehow got the cinnamon de added on the MATE base install yesterday, synaptic "couldn't find the packages" . . . and I added "gnome shell" just because . . . and so I think this is Cinn 1.2??? Anyway, as a mac guy I appreciate the de eye candy that cinnamon provides, but I can't find the Floating Feet screensaver . . . I must have the floating feet . . . it helps to keep me grounded, etc. Is it too low tech for Cinnamon or do I have to add screen saver package? If it has to be added is there code for that? "apt install floating feet" ????? I needs the feets . . . .

e.e.p.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MacPro '12 multiboot various linux OSs with some aging OSX's . . . .
JWJones

Re: Help! Where are the "floating feets" in Cinnamon?

Post by JWJones »

Do you have the package "gnome-screensaver" installed?
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

@JWJones:

Thanks for the reply, not sure, but, when I'm logged into MATE DE, it's there . . . after I posted this I searched "screensaver" in the Cinn menu search and it just showed me "screen brightness & lock" . . . . There is no screensaver in Cinn. But, as I mentioned I did install GNOME shell, and now in the sessions menu it shows 2 or 3 GNOME options that weren't there before. I had to find and add a Terminal icon, that wasn't loaded by default. What would I do, put just "gnome-screensaver" in the Terminal and see if anything shows up? I'm away from my LM computer right now . . . but thanks for your help.

e.e.p.
JWJones

Post by JWJones »

No, open up Synaptic Package Manager, and search for "gnome-screensaver." If it is checked, it's installed, but you may not have the floating feet module. If it's unchecked, check it, and then click "Apply" and it will install.

Edit: this is how I would do it if this was Gnome 2; I'm not sure how things are with Gnome 3/Gnome Shell, as I don't use it.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

JWJones wrote:No, open up Synaptic Package Manager, and search for "gnome-screensaver." If it is checked, it's installed, but you may not have the floating feet module. If it's unchecked, check it, and then click "Apply" and it will install.

Edit: this is how I would do it if this was Gnome 2; I'm not sure how things are with Gnome 3/Gnome Shell, as I don't use it.
@JW:

Thanks for the follow-up, I ran it in Terminal and it told me it wasn't installed, and then how to install it, which I did. However, it's not showing up in the drop down "launcher"? I see there are two "main menu" items, in prefs in one "screensaver" is checked, in the other one, which must be what shows up in the drop down menu to left (I have the toolbar on the top) . . . it's not there. There is a command when I 2x click on it, perhaps to launch it from terminal??? something like "gnome-screensaver preferences"???? Don't know if I'm supposed run that in Term . . . . I rebooted after the installation in Terminal . . . guess I could check in synaptic as you suggest, to see if it is showing as installed . . . I'm at work, so focus is not 100% on the floating feet issue . . . . : - ))))

e.e.p.

Edit: Just checked and synaptic shows screensaver installed . . . .
JWJones

Post by JWJones »

Yeah, the screensaver would be under "Preferences." I suspect that if it is there, the floating feet module has probably been dropped. Come to think of it, the only place I remember having seen it pre-installed lately is when I did a Debian Squeeze/Gnome 2 installation. It may not be around in Gnome 3.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

JWJones wrote:Yeah, the screensaver would be under "Preferences." I suspect that if it is there, the floating feet module has probably been dropped. Come to think of it, the only place I remember having seen it pre-installed lately is when I did a Debian Squeeze/Gnome 2 installation. It may not be around in Gnome 3.
@JW:

Well, first would be just to get any screensaver to work . . . but, if I needs the feets I can always log into the MATE session . . . hopefully, the feets have not been erased there . . . that would be too much for me to handle. I need to be able to watch those ubuntu feet moving around on the screen to maintain my sanity . . . . : - )) So, still will be looking for how to get the screensaver launched . . . any screensaver. I do have the option of logging into various GNOME DEs & a couple Ubuntu choices, but it seems many times those "extras" don't boot . . . so maybe I'll check them. It's just odd that there was no screen saver in Cinnamon . . . considering all the other things that are in the DE.

e.e.p.

Edited later: I ran code "mate-screensaver-preferences" and it launched the MATE screensaver window, and it was set to "blank" . . . so the screen lock was just showing a black screen. I changed it to floating feet, but it didn't immediately work, perhaps I'll have to log out and test it tomorrow . . . .
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

@JW, et al:

Just to update, back in the MATE DE today, and I can right click on the "lock screen" icon and it gives me an "activate screensaver" option. But, still, other than the Terminal command I mentioned above, I can't find my way to any screensaver in the Cinnamon DE . . . . Sometimes it seems like when something gets used LM seems to enhance that activity, like I posted on the "No sound" thread when I discovered I couldn't play Pandora; but found that by trying to play something then when I did update/upgrade I saw a number of "snd" packages were added and downloaded, but so far it doesn't seem like screensaver is showing up in Preferences . . . ??? Locking the screen still seems to be going to black screen, even though I apparently changed the selection to "floating feet" . . . Cinnamon seems to be floating feet averse . . . perhaps it's too pedestrian????? : - ))))

e.e.p.
karashata

Post by karashata »

The gnome-screensaver package doesn't actually run screensavers anymore, it's just the lock screen. You may want to look into installing the xscreensaver package, it should still work like you're expecting (though, I don't know if it would contain the floating feet screensaver, since that's a GNOME thing...).

Unfortunately I don't know whether there would be any additional steps involved to actually get xscreensaver working in place of gnome-screensaver beyond installing it.
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

karashata wrote:The gnome-screensaver package doesn't actually run screensavers anymore, it's just the lock screen. You may want to look into installing the xscreensaver package, it should still work like you're expecting (though, I don't know if it would contain the floating feet screensaver, since that's a GNOME thing...).

Unfortunately I don't know whether there would be any additional steps involved to actually get xscreensaver working in place of gnome-screensaver beyond installing it.
@karashata:

Thanks for the post, not sure if there was a notification or if I was trying to check out what you were saying, sorry for the delay. But, yeah, it looks like Cinnamon didn't "recognize" the screen saver when I added it in . . . and it probably just locks it--couldn't figure out how to "force" the screen saver. But, over here in MATE I can get the floating feet to pass by . . . . I've moved on to working on the issue of text being erased suddenly as the cursor jumps to a new spot, taking all the text in between. Possibly a browser issue, I'm typing this in Midori to see if it happens, or if it's just an FF thing.

Thanks again,
e.e.p.

Return to “Cinnamon”