Switch Application to Second Monitor

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Switch Application to Second Monitor

Postby uniprog on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi all,
In the process from transitioning from Windows -> Linux. Tried Fedora which I found good for a while but a kernel bug after an update wiped out both my desktop and laptop in one swoop, with a deadline coming up so I'm hoping Mint will be more stable!
Really liking it so far. My question is can I create a keyboard shortcut that when pressed will shift my current application over to my second monitor.
For example If I have Chrome open on monitor2 I press "F2" and Chrome moves over (still in full-screen) to Monitor1. Any ideas?? I did look through the keyboard shortcuts but couldn't quite seem to find what I was looking for. It could be that I just don't undertand all of the linux terminology though. In Windows I was using a 3rd party application Ultramon.

Thanks!
uniprog
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Switch Application to Second Monitor

Postby uniprog on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Bump - Any ideas anyone :)

Also does anyone know how to have a tool bar that stretches across the bottom of both screen. Ideal behaviour would be that anything I minimise one one monitor will go to corresponding taskbar.

Thanks again all for your help. Really getting on well with Linux Mint so far!
uniprog
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ibettyarantt on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:55 pm

Hi uniprog! I am also trying to do this one and researching on the possible ways to make it work. I can't seem to find any yet but please feel free to message me if you got the solution. Let's help each other.
"The power of imagination makes us infinite." steven barbarich
Ibettyarantt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby catweazel on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:11 am

uniprog wrote:can I create a keyboard shortcut that when pressed will shift my current application over to my second monitor.

autokey-qt (kde) or autokey-gtk (gnome), xnee, xmacro, gnee... all in the repositories.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Postby MichaelTunnell on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:59 am

I figured out how to do this and it should work in all versions of Linux Mint. I am currently writing a tutorial for this ... will update here when done.
MichaelTunnell
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions