Safe to remove Windows hibernation file using Mint?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Safe to remove Windows hibernation file using Mint?

Postby CyberAly on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:26 pm

Hello,

My installation of Windows 8 recently corrupted, so I burned a Linux Mint 14 live CD so that I could attempt to retrieve the important data before doing a system refresh. However, when I attempt to mount the hard drive in linux I get this error:

Error mounting /dev/sda2 at /media/mint/D206DB5906DB3CE3: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=999,gid=999,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sda2" "/media/mint/D206DB5906DB3CE3"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: Windows is hibernated, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda2': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is hibernated. Please resume and shutdown Windows
properly, or mount the volume read-only with the 'ro' mount option, or
mount the volume read-write with the 'remove_hiberfile' mount option.
For example type on the command line:

mount -t ntfs-3g -o remove_hiberfile /dev/sda2 /media/mint/D206DB5906DB3CE3

My question: Is is safe to remove the hibernation file? Will removing that file potentially thwart my attempts to recover Windows once I try to boot it again?

I know that this is primarily a Windows question, which won't be your area of expertise, but the error appears in Linux and i'm not sure if I can disect it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
CyberAly
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Safe to remove Windows hibernation file using Mint?

Postby AlbertP on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:01 pm

Mounting with remove_hiberfile is safe. Windows will simply boot normally, instead of resume from hibernate.
You may have to create a new hibernation file in Windows if you want to hibernate Windows again afterwards: for Vista (7/8 too, I think) right-click Command Prompt or cmd in the Start Menu > Run as Administrator, then run: powercfg /hibernate on. On Windows XP, you can instead re-enable hibernation in Power Management in Control Panel.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Other topics