Problems with dual boot - lost Windows

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Photon

Problems with dual boot - lost Windows

Post by Photon »

I have had to reinstall Linux mint several times using this method http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276.
After I had gone into windows and deleted the partitions I made, I went back into LM and rebuilt them using the same method. I had the first ext4 as / @ 30gb. I then used 28gb as home. Then the remaining few GB's as swap. But then I reboot the comp and I can see that Linux works fine, then I reboot to see if I can gain access to Window7 and nothing. I tried both sda1 and sda2 to access Windows but can't. Is there another way I can ensure Windows works on dual boot. I can't allow LM to be alongside Windows as there is not enough space on the C drive. I did try the same method with Ubuntu and it did the same
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Problems with dual boot - lost Windows

Post by Fornhamfred »

Do you know where you installed grub?
Photon

Post by Photon »

Fornhamfred wrote:Do you know where you installed grub?
I have to say I don't - I thought it was with the Windows 7 boot. But being a comp moron I have no idea. I assumed that would be with Ext4 / and I had set that as primary. I did everything the link gave me. So did I do anything wrong? Well silly question isn't it - I obviously did
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

You do not say which version of Mint you have installed, but I assume that the text editor is either gedit or pluma.
Could you please post the output of your grub.cfg file by pasting one of the following in a terminal.

Code: Select all

gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg
or

Code: Select all

pluma /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Photon

Post by Photon »

There is a problem with posting anything like that. I had to remove the boot and Linux to get back to Windows. I could not have a day without having access to a lot of my Windows documents. I write books and I have to use MS office not Open Office (or alternative for the publishers). But I can tell you that the LM is LM Mate version 14 64bit. So I will be starting from scratch; yet again! The irony is, is that it was working fine first time around, then I had problems with WINE as it would not work. I tried to delete it but I think I obviously did something wrong to allow the icons/menu/task bar to disappear. It was then I had to reload the whole thing as I had no response on what my next move would be. My only option was to reload, this was easy as there was nothing to lose. So now we are the beginning again and having problems with the loading of Windows mbr along with LM boot. How can I proceed from here to have the linux back?
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I assume that as you have managed to get back into windows that you were able to restore the Windows MBR which is always the first partition on the master hard drive.

I cannot tell whether you have one or two drives but assuming that you are using a second drive. I always use the live dvd to partition the drive before starting to install Mint - gparted is used to achieve this. Obviously if you are using part of the windows drive then the same applies.

During the installation process, select the option to specify the partitions and set up your root partition (/), home and swap. The last time I installed Mint I used either LMDE or Mint 13 but in both of these at some point you are asked where to install grub, make sure that you select the windows MBR partiton which should be sda1. Once the install is complete your system will boot up with the Mint grub screen where you can select either Windows or Mint ( Mint will be the default selection). If you go to synaptic and install the program Startupmanager, using this will allow you to select which distro to boot by default and also the screen resolution and time delay.

On all my machines I have an ntfs partition which I use as a data store and this is an easy way to access and use the same information in both windows and mint.

If I can be of any further help do not worry about posting back
Photon

Post by Photon »

Thank your for your reply. I have done everything that you have stated as you can see by my detailed input before. And, I have done this process for every installation of Mint and Ubuntu. The only LM to work (until I had the problem with WINE) was the first install. After that every installation worked on LM but would not allow me to boot into Windows7. I even got my wife to sit with me and she read out the instructions to ensure my morphined brain hadn't miss-read it. And sure enough it would not boot with Windows only LM. So I am not sure how to progress from here as it seems that the method you have described and the method I used it not working. I am at a loss here as I used LM most days until the boot problem I had with Ubuntu. I really don't like Ubuntu so opted for LM. But have tried once again Ubuntu and the sane thing happened.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

I am sure that this is very frustrating for you. Could you just confirm the following:

1. After not being able to boot into windows 7 , that you restored the windows mbr.

2. That the Mint or Ubuntu grub screens showed an entry for Windows.
Photon

Post by Photon »

Thanks for your reply. Yes LM and Ubuntu showed Windows7 on both sda1 and sda2. I am thinking of trying to get the LM back up and then see if I can't resolve the boot for Windows from there. But I need Windows for things LM can't do as well. i.e Adobe and my photography with lightroom. Also I have to write my book on MS office. God knows why the dam publishers are so dam picky but they are. Well that is if my books ever get published. Thanks for your assistance
Photon

Post by Photon »

Thank you all for your assistance. I have managed to deal with my morphined stupidity!!!! I tell you, taking 300mg of morphine a day screws your brains up I can tell you. I was allocating sda1 Win7 ias the boot when I should have allocated /dev/sda Hitachi. Now up and running. Although I expect I shall be running into more trouble soon. Thank you again for your assistance

Tony
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Great, glad to hear all is working OK. Could you mark the thread "Solved" by editing the header on your first post. :D :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”