Restart doesn't work

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
allinblind

Restart doesn't work

Post by allinblind »

Hi,

I'm a brand new Linux Mint user and a Linux newbie in general. I just installed version 14 cinnamon (32-bit) last night on my laptop and have run into a problem when I try to restart. When I try to restart from the Menu option or the welcome screen my display turns black and just seems to hang there. powering off and hibernate seem to work fine. I installed on a 2006 Lenovo T60. Also dual booting with Windows 7. I had Ubuntu 12.04 installed prior to Mint but never had any issue like this, if that helps. I've tried to follow the instructions on these sites but it hasn't resolved the problem:

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/09/how-to- ... start.html

http://www.inforbiro.com/blog-eng/ubunt ... t-problem/

If anyone could help, I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
allinblind

Re: Restart doesn't work

Post by allinblind »

After some testing and reinstallations here's what I got so far:

Reinstalled LM 14 = restart still doesn't work
Installed Ubuntu 12.10 = restart doesn't work
Installed 12.04 = It works!
Installed LM 14 KDE = restart doesn't work

So I assume the bug is only limited to the most recent releases of the software. I'm not sure if I'll try LM 13 but if 12.04 worked then I'm guessing there's a pretty good chance it will too. Also, when I try to restart from the newest versions, and wait around 5 minutes I get this error message"

"Cannot boot from any device"
Current boot order and device status"
(then it lists my hdd, CD drive, USB etc) and beside the hard drive it shows "No valid operating system"

Someone's got to have run into something similar to this?

Return to “Installation & Boot”