How to make Linux Mint 14/ 13 (Cinnamon) look like Windows 7

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Brahim Salem

How to make Linux Mint 14/ 13 (Cinnamon) look like Windows 7

Post by Brahim Salem »

1- Download and install plymouth-theme-seven for i386 athttps://launchpad.net/~plymouth-themes/ ... ld/2899922 and for amd64 at https://launchpad.net/~plymouth-themes/ ... ld/2906499
then set it as your default splash screen. If you don't know how to do it go to http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1149

2- Get Windows 7 Basic light 1.0 at http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/108 and Win7 menu emulator 1.0 at http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/84. To install Windows 7 Basic light 1.0 decompress it in ~/.themes. To install Win7 menu emulator 1.0 decompress it in ~/.local/share/cinnamon/applets.

3- Download and install Windows 8 cursors at http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=155025. To install Windows 8 Cursors decompress it in ~/.icons.
4- Download Windows 7 logo (png file) and scale it (Put the Width and Height 24 pixels). Then place it in your home folder (It would be better to make it a hidden file. Then go to Cinnamon Settings- Menu- Menu icon and choose the new logo . Then remove the Menu text.

5- Download a Windows 7 default wallpaper and set it as desktop background.

6- Install Windows GTK theme by running interminal the foloowing commands:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:upubuntu-com/gtk3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install win2-7

then enable the Windows 7 theme and icons by running:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme 'Win2-7-theme'
gconftool-2 --set --type string /apps/metacity/general/theme 'Win2-7-theme'
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme 'Win2-7-icons'
You can change the window theme from Cinnamon Settings.

7- Go to Cinnamon Settings- panel and check "use custom panel size..." and "allow Cinnamon to scale panel text..." then set the bottom panel height to 35 pixels.

8- Download Windows sound scheme http://graywz.deviantart.com/art/Window ... -182261546 and install it following this tutorial http://www.faqforge.com/linux/change-st ... x-mint-13/

9- Install Screenlets by runnig:

sudo apt-get install screenlets

If you want to install Extra Screenlets, you can install using PPA copy the following commands in the Terminal:

sudo apt-get install screenlets-pack-all

Enjoy Windows 7 :D

Image Image

Last edited by Brahim Salem on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:04 am, edited 17 times in total.
Orbmiser

Re: How to make Linux Mint 14 (Cinnamon) look like Windows 7

Post by Orbmiser »

Good write up on achieving it tho wallpaper says Win 8 :shock:
Glad you found all the things you needed to get that Windows feel.
d00med

Re: How to make Linux Mint 14 (Cinnamon) look like Windows 7

Post by d00med »

Good job on the tutorial and complete transformation.

My reaction is along these lines though...
Last edited by d00med on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tassadar

Re: How to make Linux Mint 14/ 13 (Cinnamon) look like Windo

Post by Tassadar »

Hi all,

First of all I want to thank Brahim for the great job.

I'm a total newcomer to Linux and I have no idea of if. I've download plymouth-theme-seven and follow the steps indicated on link, and also have download:

-Windows 7 Basic light 1.0
-Win7 menu emulator 1.0
-Windows 8 Cursors

I've uncompress the three but I don't know how to install.

Anyone can help me? Keep in mind i'm total newcomer to Linux.

Thanks in advance!
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

1- To install Windows 7 Basic light 1.0 decompress it in ~/.themes
2- To install Win7 menu emulator 1.0 decompress it in ~/.local/share/cinnamon/applets
3- To install Windows 8 Cursors decompress it in ~/.icons

Please reread the tutorial. I have updated it :D
That's it Image Image

Tassadar

Post by Tassadar »

Brahim wrote:1- To install Windows 7 Basic light 1.0 decompress it in ~/.themes
2- To install Win7 menu emulator 1.0 decompress it in ~/.local/share/cinnamon/applets
3- To install Windows 8 Cursors decompress it in ~/.icons

Please reread the tutorial. I have updated it :D
That's it Image Image

Many thanks Brahim

With no little effort I've find out that ~ means "computer --> file system --> home --> MyUser", learn to press CTRL+H to see hidden folders, I have create .themes and .icons folders (the other already existed) and copy contents of compressed packets to the folder yoy tell me.

Then I've restart, but nothing happens.

About the other thing, the first step with plomouth_seven, I doubled click on it and apparently performed an installation, after this, I followed those steps:
1-To change the default splash screen:

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
sudo update-initramfs -u

2-To fix the delayed loading of the splash:

sudo -s
echo FRAMEBUFFER=y >>/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
update-initramfs -u
But as I told, after restarting, nothing changes.

Thank you very much for your help, I'm completely aware that I have no idea about linux, I've work all my life with windows.

If you know some "first steps" tutorial or something like this about those stuffs of replacing themes, it would be great, the truth is that help is very welcome but I don't want to take you more time than needed.

Sincerely

Tassadar
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

2-For the splash screen I have updated the tutorial for you click here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1149
3- for the themes you don't have to reboot simply go to Cinnamon Setings-Themes-Other Settings and choose the Icon and cursor themes you want.

that's it Image Image

Tassadar

Post by Tassadar »

Hi again Brahim,

1.-For the splash screen, I'm not sure what it is, but if it's the screen that should appear when booting, before desktop appears, there is nothing of this when Linux Mint 14 just installed. I mean, There's only a blank screen when loading, and then appears cursor and lated desktop.

Following your instructions I had the this message:

"Warning: No Support for locale: es_ES.utf8"

When running "sudo update-initramfs -u", and it happened even selecting the Zero, default plymouth.

I executed this: "sudo locale-gen --purge --no-archive" as reccomended on this thread: How-to fix "Warning: No support for locale: en_US.utf"

After this, the warning doesn't appear when running "sudo update-initramfs -u", but I'm still without splash screen.

2.- Rest of things:

In my "home" folder there is no ".themes" folder, so I create it and place the content of the zip file on it, so the result is I have:

home/.themes/A5IO-CF44-9S2U/32 px panel
home/.themes/A5IO-CF44-9S2U/42 px panel

For the Win7 Menu Emulator y unzip in the folder you say, so the result is:

home/.local/share/cinnamon/applets/win7Menu@phisics

For Windows 8 cursors, I create the ".icons" folder in home since it didn't exist, and after unzip contents of zip, the result is:

home/.icons/win8

Now I follow your step 6:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:upubuntu-com/gtk3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install win2-7

Apparently the three steps goes ok

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme 'Win2-7-theme'
gconftool-2 --set --type string /apps/metacity/general/theme 'Win2-7-theme'
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme 'Win2-7-icons'

Apparently those three does nothing

In this: "7- Go to Cinnamon Settings- panel and check "use custom panel size..." and "allow Cinnamon to scale panel text..." then set the bottom panel height to 35 pixels"

OK

8- Download Windows sound scheme http://graywz.deviantart.com/art/Window ... -182261546 and install it following this tutorial http://www.faqforge.com/linux/change-st ... x-mint-13/

I'll do the sounds parts later, I can't at this moment

Now I've gone to Themes --> Other configurations and set Win2-7 theme in the first option, win8 on second and Win2-7 Icons, on last (GTK+) I set Win2-7 theme.

Result: Windows and folders look like Windows 7, but taskbar and start menu is like before.....

I'll continue makings tests later and I'll tell

Manu thanks

EDIT: I've move the folders of the "theme", making not to be:

home/.themes/A5IO-CF44-9S2U/32 px panel
home/.themes/A5IO-CF44-9S2U/42 px panel

But placing the folders that was inside them, and now i can set this theme, but the result is not as on images you attach, hehe.

I've another problem, most of times, when I reboot, blank screen remains (up to 15 minutes) and I've to restart pressing reset switch.
I'll continue telling
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

Hi :)
I have a Stupid question :) Why go to all this Just for a Look :?:
If You Like it so much Why not use the real thing :?: ...After All this You will Still have Linux Mint And It's Still Not Windows.
Don't get me Wrong,I know your Desktop is Personal...But Windows :?:
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

OldManHook wrote:Hi :)
I have a Stupid question :) Why go to all this Just for a Look :?:
If You Like it so much Why not use the real thing :?: ...After All this You will Still have Linux Mint And It's Still Not Windows.
Don't get me Wrong,I know your Desktop is Personal...But Windows :?:
i totally agree with you :D But new users with a Windows mindset hate change and we want to make that change smooth for them. That's it :D
Tassadar

Post by Tassadar »

I perfectly understand both of you and not only this, I agree you and I would not convert a Linux into Windows for me.

I sell computers (mainly HTPCs) and customers wants me to install them Windows 7 but they don't want to pay the license, so I can offer them a free system that look like windows as much as possible and works perfectly for the tasks they want ;)

Thanks to all, tomorrow I'll "back to the fight", I've still not get the aspects of the screenshots of the first posts although I've made good advances, hehe
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I have the same AGGGG!! reaction
--why would anyone want to: windows is windows, linux is linux, Android is Android and OSX or IOS is just that
  • I think this kind of thing (user themes..) used to be very popular pre win7
    --getting Linux to look like an Apple OSX or Windows XP or otherwise
  • Could be that it is still popular
    --just doesn't help Linux, I don't think.
They will still be some differences between the look of windows OS on Linux and the normal windows OS as itself, usually in file manager or hot keys (shortcuts), as well as the usual this is not my windows media player huh! (confused)

I see your rationale for a windows user, but I don't agree that this is a good method; at some point they will completely abandon the setup installed and go for the real product, a windows OS, especially if they buy a new computer or netbook/tablet
  • This style of an easy hand-holding method to bring a windows user into a new respect for a Linux OS base, I don't think ever works
    --either they want to use Linux or they don't
  • If they really don't want to pay a licensing fee for windows OS, they can sometimes get a deal from an OEM install at a small computer shop
    --then again, OEM mode ? without buying a computer is a grey area I guess
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

It's not that categorical I think :D Some people are simply nostalgic that's all :D I hate Windows myself but I respect those who like it and so made this tutorial for them :D I would call that professionalism mate :D oops cinnamon :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tassadar

Post by Tassadar »

Hi again, guys,

I don't mind at all if people who buys a computer later install windows by themselves or goes to another computer shop, or buys licence... or whatever.

The problem is that people doesn't want to pay for a software license, they think everything's free and if you don't install them windows without paying the licence, they'll not buy the computer. I wan't to be able to offer them the option of a Linux that works great for their requirements and visually similar to windows; of course they'll know it's not windows, but aspect is very important here, and if "it looks like windows" they'll accept betther the change. If later they download a pirate windows and install it, it's not my problem, my problem is I can't install windows if customer has not buy licence (that, to be honest, is quite expensive, it would be much easy to us to offer original windows if microsoft would be reasonable with oem licences price).

I have Linux mint aspect very similar to Windows 7, but I still have some problems, I'll try to solve and post again.

Many thanks
Tassadar

Post by Tassadar »

Hi all again,

I've been making more tests and installations and I've completely install the theme, but I've 2 remain problems I can't solve. I hope you can lend me a hand.

Problem 1.- Cinnamon+Windows 7 Menu:

I enter at applets and activate Cinnamon+Windows 7 menu then disable Cinnamon, but the Windows 7 menu place itself near right side of screen, and I need it to be placed at down-left, like windows start menu (SOLVED! :D ):

The GTK+ Theme that we install (win2-7 theme) have an important error, text on buttons and menus have a failing background, making it appear like broken:

How could I solve those 2 problems?? I've try to select another GTK+ Theme different than win2-7, but I suppose that I would have to look for a Windows 7 similar one.

At, to finish, I've another doubt: How could I make elements in taskbar join by category?? I mean: if I have 2 text documents (text documents or web browser or any other thing) that the two can be in only one button, like windows does.

Many thanks in advance.

PD: Another question is that I've no transparencies at all, is like having windows without aero. How could I make taskbar and windows have this transparency effect? I've try some tutorials but none of them seems to work...
Last edited by Tassadar on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tassadar

Post by Tassadar »

I have solve the problem of the "start menu", I've found the option of edit panel and have move it to the left :D

Now I only have two issues to solve:

-GTK+ Theme that we install (win2-7 theme) have graphic problems (see prior post imeges)
-How to make windows and taskbar have transparencies to give it glass aspect.

Many thanks to all
Tassadar

Post by Tassadar »

Hi all again,

I've make progress, but I still have at least one thing to solve.

-Since I was unable to find where the GTK+ Win2-7 was stored I have not modify it to solve the gaphical problem it had, but finally I have use "Adwaita", theme for this, and result is quite good.

-I have modify files of the win7 basic light and have get transparencies on taskbar and start menu.

-I have modify files from win7Menu@physics to repair links to "My documents" "My Videos", etc, they didn't work because I had to replace Nautilus calls to Nemo calls (uff, hard work for me realize the solution).

-I have modify files from win7Menu@physics to allow to use áéíóú characters, needed to use spanish versions os "Mi Videos" (Mis Vídeos), "My Pictures" (Mis imágenes), and others.

¿What else?
I want to have transparences on windows (window theme) but I'm completely unable to find with files to modify (where are window theme stored when installed?). I've even try to install CompizConfig but options for transparencies, that should appear on "acesibitily" are missing.
¿Any help with this? I could modify files for the theme, but I installed it via step 6 of the tutorial and i have no idea where are those files stored.

Many thanks to all

Return to “Tutorials”