Sony Vaio PCG-GR390

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
daikarasu

Sony Vaio PCG-GR390

Post by daikarasu »

I own a sony vaio pcg-gr390, and have attempted at installing Helena onto it, only to discover that it is incapable of actually properly installing, due to a hardware incompatibility. I don't know if it's possible, and I don't want to inconvenience anyone, but including sony laptops into the compatibility of Helena would be wonderful.
viking777

Re: Sony Vaio PCG-GR390

Post by viking777 »

Good news and bad news.

I have a similar sort of Sony (PCG-R600). They are so vastly incompatible with Linux that I have been trying different distros for at least 5 years and I have had virtually no success. That is the bad news.

The good news is that I have had some success. Crunchbang LIte (a Ubuntu based distro) is the ONLY Linux distro that I can successfully install and run on that machine. So at least you don't need to spend ages thinking about which distro to choose :lol:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/

According to another thread they have a new version coming out soon as well.

If you do decide on that then I suggest the Lite edition as opposed to the Standard (unless your Vaio has much more ram than mine).
joem5636

Post by joem5636 »

Open SUSE installed easily on my PCG-GR390 even with only 512mb of ram. Only problem was figuring out how to partition (and, once done, it was really pretty easy).

Highly recommended.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I'm glad you found a distro to work on your Vaio joem. However, this topic is 3 years old now so it is highly unlikely the OP is still interested in it. I will lock the topic now as it is too old to require any responses.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”