Booting throug WUBI

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keithvalenza1

Booting throug WUBI

Post by keithvalenza1 »

I have Linux Mint 14 on my HP computer. For some reason, with Wubi it gives me three choices:
Windows7
Linux Mint 14
Linux Mint 14

When I want to boot into Mint, I usually choose the first Linux Mint. Often it boots to Mint with no problem at all. Other times I hear the "ping" sound but no login screen comes up at all. Then when I shut the computer off and try again, I choose the second Linux Mint 14 option and it works.

Yet at other times when I just choose the second option, it doesn't work, either. I get the ping sound, but no longin screen. So when I choose the first option, it works fine.

I have a feeling this problem is related to the fact that I have two Linux Mint 14 choices. How can I fix this issue? I already ininstalled Wubi once, then reinstalled it, and I still get two Linux Mint 14 choices.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Booting throug WUBI

Post by karlchen »

Hello, keithvalenza1.

About the boot menu and the double Linux Mint entries:

The boot menu is the Windows 7 boot menu. This means you need to boot into Windows 7 and check what is behind the 2 "Linux Mint" boot entries. You can either use the Windows commandline programe bcdedit in order to do so. Or you can use EasyBCD. (Assuming you are a home user, you can take the free edition.)
I would not be amazed if both "Linux Mint" entries launched exactly the same commandline.

About the more important problem:

The more important problem is that the Mint 14 system installed through Mint14win does not boot reliably. In order to diagnose this it may be necessary to inspect the Mint 14 logfiles in the folder /var/log, which can only be done when Mint 14 is up and running.

It might also be helpful to switch off the Mint 14 boot splash screen and to make it boot in verbose mode so that while Mint is being started all the messages which are normally hidden from you view will be visible. In case the bott process should hang at some point, the last messages on the screen might hold a hint as to what is wrong.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
keithvalenza1

Re: Booting throug WUBI

Post by keithvalenza1 »

I am not sure what you meant....

You said....

You can either use the Windows commandline programe bcdedit in order to do so. Or you can use EasyBCD.

I have no idea how to use the Windows command line or what I need to do with it.

You also said...

In order to diagnose this it may be necessary to inspect the Mint 14 logfiles in the folder /var/log, which can only be done when Mint 14 is up and running.

I don't know how to do that, either.

Finally, you said....\

\It might also be helpful to switch off the Mint 14 boot splash screen and to make it boot in verbose mode so that while Mint is being started all the messages which are normally hidden from you view will be visible. In case the bott process should hang at some point, the last messages on the screen might hold a hint as to what is wrong.

Again, how do I do this? I appreciate your help, but I am not quite as computer savvy as you appear to be. I need some step by step procedures so that I know what I should do and what I should look for.

Return to “Installation & Boot”