[SOLVED...but] CPU's now running hot and busy, even at idle

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jaderiver »

The past day in Systems Monitor/CPU History, my four CPUs suddenly show 25-50% activity, even while everything idling (while I am not doing anything and no applications open; not online). Normally, the CPUs register only 1 - 3% activity... basically flat-lined, when idling.

The temperatures shown by the Hardware Sensors Monitors are now staying above 53C -60C degrees, when normally low 40's C, or less, during idle. Fan output is also going more.

Using the live MATE CD still registers 1-3% CPU activity, at idle, and the temperatures hover around low 40C degrees or less.

ASUS notebooks are known for staying very cool, and mine is barely over one year old.
The System Monitor>Processes list no processes going on.

Where can I find, or what Linux app to use to figure out, what exactly is using up my CPU resources, even while resting?
Any ideas or suggestions would be very appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

[P.S. I updated a couple of days ago, Level 1 and 2 updates; some 3. Also updated Chrome to newest. Updates always seem to be culprits of new problems! Is it possible there is spyware or a virus or other monitoring app associated with updates?]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
T-Mobile 5G or 4GLTE hotspot
; WiFi/Tether to Android hotspot
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Why are my CPU's now running hot and busy, even at idle?

Post by kc1di »

Hi jaderiver,

I would install htop and take a look at the processes that it reports on see if any are hogging cpu time.
you can install it from the command line with this command

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install htop
then you will find it under system tools.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jaderiver »

Greetings kc1di:

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I just downloaded htop and like the app, visually. Many processes are active, even though I am basically at idle; the main cpu hog is Caja. I highlighted and tried to kill process (F9), but failed. I used terminal command

sudo htop

to try to kill Caja from root. Still, no kill.
Please advise about how to use the F9 - kill command, and others, from root. Or, do I need to take other steps?

Best,
jaderiver
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
semicolon

Post by semicolon »

Caja is the official file manager for the mate desktop. You may not want to kill that.
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jaderiver »

kc1di and semicolon:

Figured out how to take "second step" after F9 to kill Caja, which was indeed the CPU hog! :) Now, temperature back to normal low 40's C degrees. Caja was stuck in some kind of process loop, because I was definitely not using or launching.

And yes, now that I have killed, I cannot launch Caja from menu and will need to reboot, reload or reinstall. :( But, this issue is separate from the other and if cannot be solved, will pose the question in forum. However, you can certainly suggest a good retrieval method for Caja File Browser if you have a few seconds.

Sincere thanks to all.
eanfrid

Re: [SOLVED...but] CPU's now running hot and busy, even at i

Post by eanfrid »

Alt+F2 and type "caja". No need to reinstall or reboot, Linux is definitely not Windows. At worst, logoff and login again.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Glad you found the fault. if you can't get caja to behave you could always install another file manager.

Cheers !
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jaderiver »

Hi All...

So, rebooted Mint: Caja is definitely the energy hog CPU resource hog at 10% and is making temperatures rise a good 10C degrees... even when not even launched or while computer is idle!... a very new development. Until the past couple of days, Caja File Browser did not make any blip in resources. Recent Caja updates perhaps the reason? I will post separately on this issue.

Return to “Hardware Support”