Linux Mint 14 hangs for a few seconds

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Caps18

Linux Mint 14 hangs for a few seconds

Post by Caps18 »

I just installed Linux Mint 14 64 bit Cinnamon on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro. I also have it connected to an external 1080p 37" HDTV over DVI.

When I log in, everything works fine, then the external screen goes off, CPU core #3 goes to 100%, and the mouse moves very slow for 5 seconds or so. Then everything goes back to normal for a while and it does it again. Do I need to install a new graphics card driver? Which one do you get for the NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB?

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/1676/linuxmint.jpg

Do you have any advice for something to try?

Thanks (I finally upgraded from Linux Mint 9!)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Caps18

Re: Linux Mint 14 hangs for a few seconds

Post by Caps18 »

After testing some more, this only does it when the HDMI cable is attached to the Macbook. Even if the external monitor is off, the pausing happens. Although the laptop screen does not turn to black. It didn't matter if I booted with the HDMI cable unplugged and then waited until I was logged in before plugging it in.

I am appling all of the updates right now to see what that does. I'll try the Bumblebee drivers next.
Caps18

Post by Caps18 »

I have updated everything and installed Bumblebee nVidia drivers, and while it doesn't do the main problem anymore... I am only able to get a 1600x1200 resolution and no external monitor is showing up at all.

Aren't external monitors and 1920x1080 resolution pretty standard now? :roll:
Caps18

Post by Caps18 »

I tried doing a few things I read from other people on-line, and can say that making an xorg.conf file doesn't work (had to boot up the DVD to delete the file). It does have a problem with the external monitor when I use the Live DVD too.

I would have thought that Linux Mint would have come with the necessary nvidia drivers since it comes with other software.
Caps18

Post by Caps18 »

I tried the LiveDVD of the KDE version last night and the same thing happens. It also happens on a different HDTV that I have hooked up.

I will try out Ubuntu next to see if it does the same thing.
Caps18

Post by Caps18 »

I used the Ubuntu Live CD yesterday and it does the same thing. I don't know what is going on with it. But I will be able to search for more information now.
Caps18

Post by Caps18 »

I just tried Fedora 18 live CD, and it did the same thing. Did something change in the kernel from Linux Mint 9 to 14? Maybe it is my arch nemisis X.org. Did the default graphics drivers change or how they interact with nVidia cards with no nVidia driver insalled?

Return to “Beginner Questions”