Linux Mint Crashing when enabling my second monitor.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sixilli

Linux Mint Crashing when enabling my second monitor.

Post by sixilli »

I have no idea why it is doing this. Every time I enable it my system crashes to a black screen with a huge error screen. I'll update this post with the first few lines after I write down what it is. I've installed my Nvidia driver and it's still happening any help would be greatly appreciated.

My main monitor is connected to my 560ti while my second monitor is connected to my Intel integrated graphics card. Would it be a good idea to just buy another VGA to HDMI converter so I can have both monitors on my main graphics card, or is there a way to get this setup to work? I can currently use both monitors in windows with 0 errors or hiccups.

Here is the first two lines of the error code.

Code: Select all

BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer deference at 
IP: [lots of fff's and some numbers] intel_gtt_map_memory +0x75/0x160
EDIT: Now after installing the nvidia driver my second monitor isn't even being detected.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux Mint Crashing when enabling my second monitor.

Post by catweazel »

sixilli wrote:IMy main monitor is connected to my 560ti while my second monitor is connected to my integrated graphics card.
That'll be the cause.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Samer

Post by Samer »

Is it not possible to run mint with 2 video cards?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Samer wrote:Is it not possible to run mint with 2 video cards?
Yes, of course it is possible, but I'll bet it's not another nVidia, or one that can be put into SLI mode with the 560TI. More likely it's Intel or AMD, and therein lies the reason why it isn't working.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
sixilli

Post by sixilli »

It's weird because this setup works perfectly fine in windows but in mint it crashes my whole system. Kinda odd if you ask me.I'll update the op with the first few lines of the error code to see if anyone can help. Now after installing the nvidia driver my second monitor isn't even being detected. -.-
painhippo

Post by painhippo »

I'm bumping this old thread because I have EXACTLY the same problem!

Have you (op) or anyone come up with a solution?!

You'd be a life saver!

Return to “Hardware Support”