second 3G modem connection fault

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Utila Steve

second 3G modem connection fault

Post by Utila Steve »

I have recently switched from ubuntu 12.1 to mint 14 (64 bit version) the only problem i have encountered is with my 3g modems. I have two (i live in Honduras i have one tigo modem and one claro modem) the tigo was the first i installed and it works fine but when i try to add a second 3g connection it only gives me the option of a VPN connection? this i dont understand as both worked with ubuntu. Can anyone suggest how i can sort this out?
Thanks
Steve :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roni

Re: second 3G modem connection fault

Post by roni »

Have similar problem my Huawei E156g does work but my other one E367 will not (firmware missing ) but will work on other linux systems. Running Mint 11 upgraded via internet to 11.04 any help would be grateful.
Roni

Utila Steve

Post by Utila Steve »

I think its quite a simple problem, it just doesnt give me the option of adding another broadband connection, it only offers me a VPN connection???????
Utila Steve

Post by Utila Steve »

Okay the problems are mounting a little, i installed the 32bit version of mint 14 on my dell mini 10 (the 64bit version is installed on my new samsung series 5 chromebook) and it has the same issue with extra broadband connections and doesnt want to give me any wireless options either? I dont understand these problems as i previously had ubuntu 12.1 on both machines and the connections worked with no problems at all....... and i thought mint was pretty much run from ubuntu skeleton system? Please can someone help. ( i also used to get more support from the ubuntu forums.....).

Please help as this is the only irritation i am finding and i have fallen in love with mint.......... :D
Utila Steve

Post by Utila Steve »

Does anyone answer in the Mint forums? Or has every user developed some sort of telepathic communication? Please let me know so i can join in or understand that i belong by myself in the corner.................. :(
Utila Steve

Post by Utila Steve »

Nearly 250 views and not one hint, suggestion, or direction............ are all mint forum users begginers like me? Is there anyone who can give this old fool me some idea of how to fix this problem? Please, pretty please ..... if i was wealthy i would offer a reward! :D
venco
Level 1
Level 1

Post by venco »

Utila Steve wrote:Nearly 250 views and not one hint, suggestion, or direction............ are all mint forum users begginers like me? Is there anyone who can give this old fool me some idea of how to fix this problem? Please, pretty please ..... if i was wealthy i would offer a reward! :D

Hey , Dude !
I don't remember the original sources of these methods , but you can search the net and find them.

Here's method I:

Open up a terminal as root.(sudo su)
Enter command "gedit /etc/modules" (gedit is text editor you can use leafpad or whatever you have)

Add At the bottom of the file:
usbserial
option

Save and Reboot (or try /etc/modules reload).
=========================================================
...And method II :

1.open terminal as root
2. use command "lsusb" and you will receive something like "Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1bbb:0017 T & A Mobile Phones"
for your modem.
Instead of 1bbb:f000 use your device id obtained by "lsusb" command !!!
3. use command "gedit /usr/bin/usbModemScript"
and add:

#!/bin/bash
echo 1bbb f000 > new_id

Save file and close .

4. enter in terminal : chmod +x /usr/bin/usbModemScript

5. next command: "geit /etc/udev/rules.d/option.rules"

and add:
ATTRS{idVendor}=="1bbb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="f000", RUN+="/usr/bin/usbModemScript"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="1bbb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="f000", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe option"

Save file and close .

6.Reboot
Last edited by venco on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Utila Steve

Post by Utila Steve »

thanks i will try a little later :D

Return to “Hardware Support”