Only USB 3.0 works

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
raulh

Only USB 3.0 works

Post by raulh »

I recently purchased a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 motherboard with an AMD FX-8320 and put in an old nvidia video card I had. Not sure model number of video card. I installed linux mint 14 and I have two issues. One is the NIC that comes on the motherboard does not get an IP. It shows connected or cable unplugged but doesn't seem to communicate. The next wierd thing is that this motherboard comes with 8 rear USB ports. Two of which are 3.0. During boot all ports are working. As I can plug the mouse and keyboard into any of them and get into bios which I even updated with a thumbdrive. Once linux boots up the only ports that work are the 3.0 ports. They other ports do show in the hardware list and they have power as mouse lights up on other ports, but nothing happens. Please any help will be appreciated. I have googled this and most results are of people having issues with the 3.0 ports and I have the complete opposite issue.
Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Only USB 3.0 works

Post by DrHu »

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=4122#sp
  • USB 3.0 with superspeed transfer rates of up to 5 Gbps
    GIGABYTE 3x USB Power with On/Off Charge USB ports
I would guess it is your boards setup/configuration..
--checking the supplied guide may help resolve that issue..
raulh

Post by raulh »

I appreciate the prompt response. I now realize that the USB ports not working are on the south bridge. Not sure where to take it from here. FYI I have used Ubuntu 12.10, open suse, and netrunner. Each distro gave me the same issues.
raulh

Post by raulh »

Another update. I now installed Mint KDE 32 bit and everything is working. I am not sure why on 64 bit my NIC and USB ports have issues. If anyone has advice on how to fix this please let me know as I am currently running 8 GB ram and will be upgrading soon so I would like to be able to use a 64 bit version.

Return to “Installation & Boot”