Cinnamon crash/freeze

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MaRiOsGR

Cinnamon crash/freeze

Post by MaRiOsGR »

Hello,

I'm using linux mint with cinnamon for almost a month, I'm new at this.
Everything was working great untill today, in which after mint boots and gets me to the login screen after I type login/pass
and the cinammon dekstop loads, I cannot click to anywhere , also shortcuts dont work (like Alt F2)

I've tried after reboot to login with Cinnamon 2D, and Gnome and they work,
but Cinnamon and Run Xclient script just load the desktop and then crash.

Any ideas how to fix that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HangFire

Re: Cinnamon crash/freeze

Post by HangFire »

Try Ctrl-Alt-F1 and see if you can log into the alternate console (text mode). From there you can experiment on fixing it.

I have the exact same problem. The mouse pointer moves but does not respond to clicks. There have been no solutions forthcoming on another thread about this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=127018

I installed a second Mint 14 32 Cin to a VM, and it worked OK until I installed all the updates and rebooted, then it exhibited the exact same behavior.

I have tried the following in my home dir from the alternate console, killing X to retry Cinnamon logins:

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure cinnamon #First thing to try
#Log in to Cinnamon, No joy

dpkg --purge cinnamon #Second
dpkg install cinnamon

mkdir Backup #Third- Note this is drastic but recoverable
mv .[a-z]* Backup/

#Third - (Do this to recover)
mv Backup/.[a-z]* ~

#Fourth
# Boot to Gnome Classic, in GUI
cinnamon-settings
# Change menu position, save, log out/log into Cinnamon

None of them fixed Cinnamon.

I run Mint14/Cinnamon on 4 systems and currently 2 of them are down because of this. Gnome Classic on both is missing essential features (like network manager), so it is not a real substitute. Since none of my requests for help have resulted in anything, I'll file a bug report and install MATE.
MaRiOsGR

Post by MaRiOsGR »

Hello,

my mint is running on a vmware virtual machine,

I checked the last installations before the problem appears and i found this:

2013-03-11 12:51:48 install nvidia-common:amd64 <none> 1:0.2.71.1 between everything else,
so I did turn off the machine, and from the settings of vmware for this vm I did turn off 3D graphics acceleration,
then mint did login on cinnamon with Xclient script without any problem, so I guess there is the conflict for me..
but I haven't tried to remobe nvidia-common and then re-enable 3D acceleration.
MaRiOsGR

Post by MaRiOsGR »

finnaly I did
remove nvidia-common package and then re-enable 3D acceleration, and restarted the VM,
same as before , stuck so it seems nvidia-common is not the problem.

Return to “Cinnamon”