Very slow copying mp3 music to usb music player.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jamsterthecool

Very slow copying mp3 music to usb music player.

Post by jamsterthecool »

Hi,

When I tranfer mp3's to my music players micro sd card (msdos), all goes well untill 99%, then it stops. . Then after a long while, 10 minutes + (depending how many mp3's I'm transfering the tranfer finally ends).
For example as I write this, I have am copying several mp3's that all seem to be stuck around 99% point something .
I've just come from Ubuntu and had exactly the same problem .So it must be 12.10 problem.
I'd really like a answer, for this one is a deal breaker for me .

It's Strange because I used ubuntu a few years ago and transfering files to this same model device was not a problem.

mint 14 64bit
connecting sansa clip +
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anandrkris

Re: Very slow copying mp3 music to usb music player.

Post by anandrkris »

More details please - Desktop Environment (Cinnamon / Mate / KDE) and File Manager (Nautilus / Nemo / Dolphin). You can try copying (cp) from terminal and see if there are any errors cropping up while writing to music player.

It could even be an issue related to media player, you're using. I think music palyers use something called MTP, Media Transfer Protocol . Just sharing what i've read and am no expert. BTW, I sync my iPod music using Amarok.

See if the below links helps.
http://ubuntuforums.org/tags.php?tag=sansa+clip
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SansaClip

P.S. Please share the solution once the issue is fixed and mark the subject as solved.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep determine and post the sansa clip is in usb or Mtp mode?
May find help here also.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/fo ... ay.php?f=6
jamsterthecool

Post by jamsterthecool »

Hi and thanks for the help,

THe sansa clip is rockboxed running in MSC mode .
Using cinnamon desktop
nemo file manager
You can try copying (cp) from terminal and see if there are any errors cropping up while writing to music player.
Not quite sure how to do that .I will look it up when I have more time .

Another issue has cropped up . Now whenever I try to copy files over to the player I get the message, the 'destination is read only ' . I tried openning the player by right clicking and selecting open as root .Then changing the file access permission to 'Read and write' ( though when I re-open properties this setting has reverted back to just showing --- . Folder access is set to create and delete files .

It must be a issue of how the sansa clip is being mounted . I also have a android phone which connects with none of the above problems .
jamsterthecool

Post by jamsterthecool »

also on further investigation . I plugged in my spare clip+ . Same firmware , same rock box .

The very slow file transfer is still a issue but the read access is not . Why would one player suddenly become only read access ?.
jamsterthecool

Post by jamsterthecool »

HI guys .

This remains a issue for me .

The picture is what I get if I try to transfer several files at once,no more information is reported (it looks like the transfer has frozen),until the file being transferred disappears from the download window(so the files do transfer eventually, just relatively slow, compared to another system, very slowly. If I add a single file, it seemingly transfers quickly until it's almost finished,then stops almost at the end. Again some times passers and then it finishers transferring .

I've connected the sansa clip+ to a windows machine . Checked the disk for any errors. All is fine .
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I'm not very smart at this technical stuff (just a user, not a hacker), so it's probably such a basic thought that you have already determined that it is not your issue. But just to cover as many possibilities as possible...

Are you sure that you are taking possible buffering into account? IOW, there's a chance that you haven't actually copied "x%" of your data when it displays "x%."

Err... I'm probably not being clear. So: Your computer is a gasoline pump. Its buffer is a funnel. Your flash media (SD card, USB flash drive, .MP3 player, et cetera) is a lawn mower. You know that your mower will take ½-gallon (US, substitute your own measurement type here, or make one up - it's not important :wink: ), so you dispense ½-gallon of gasoline from the pump into the funnel. As you shut off the pump, you observe that the funnel still contains gasoline because the pump is capable of dispensing fuel far faster than the funnel can. You glance at the display on the pump and see that the operation is finished - but as most any absent-minded landscaper knows, if you do not take the fact that the funnel still contains gasoline into account, you will probably end up getting fuel in your boot.

Computers being smarter than the average funnel, lol, it's probably holding the progress status at 99% until the buffer is emptied so you don't end up... making a mess.

I was once transferring some files - don't remember what OS or even type (might not have been linux) - to a Corsair USB 2.0 Flash Voyager 8-gig thumb drive. I don't remember what its rated transfer speed is (I'm in my 40s, lol, and suffer from CRS Syndrome) but I do remember that, initially, the speed that was displayed in the pop-up activity box was vastly faster... But it soon settled down to ~the rated speed.

If I'm not mistaken, my current OS doesn't even display a transfer speed at first, but instead waits a short period of time. I assume this is to avoid displaying the speed of the transfer to the computer's buffer as opposed to the speed of the transfer from the buffer to the media.

The above is probably way longer than it needed to be and likely still doesn't make much sense.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
jamsterthecool

Post by jamsterthecool »

The above is probably way longer than it needed to be and likely still doesn't make much sense.
Thanks for trying. Anyway at least the files do get tranfered eventually .
sxiin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sxiin »

jamsterthecool wrote:
Thanks for trying. Anyway at least the files do get tranfered eventually .
Hi. Using LMDE 14 on Acer Aspire One 532h.

Had the same problem, always occurring after resuming from suspend state. And rebooting solved this one every time.

Since I installed Liquorix Kernel 3.8.8 & nmu2-firmware packages this problem seems to have vanished and now copying to USB flash drive behaves normal even after suspend&resume.

http://liquorix.net/
http://r3dux.org/2011/09/how-to-install ... l-in-lmde/

edit: I also have to remind that those instructions were written for the Debian Edition.

Return to “Hardware Support”