installing ubuntu 12.10 over mint 13

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mfs4360

installing ubuntu 12.10 over mint 13

Post by mfs4360 »

Presently I have mint 13 and windows 7 dual booted on my computer. Even though Mint 13 is great I have decided that I would rather have Ubuntu 12.10 because it less windows-like (like to try something new). Can I install Ubuntu 12.10 over the Mint 13? If so how would I properly do this?

Thanx for any help that can be provided.

mfs4360
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: installing ubuntu 12.10 over mint 13

Post by Fornhamfred »

You can remove Mint by formatting the partitions which you used. This can be done by using a live cd with gparted or although I have not installed Ubuntu i am sure that there is an option to select which partitions to install to when installing Ubuntu. The ubuntu grub will install to the windows mbr and should overwrite the Mint version.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

When you run the live session of ubuntu 12.10 and hit the "install" button the installer will give you the option to replace your mint 13 with ubuntu 12.10, and if you select that it will wipe out mint completely and replace it with ubuntu...I'm assuming here that you just run mint and are not dual booting with windows...
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Another option instead of removing Mint is to simply install Unity. Then you can try it out and get much of the feeling of Ubuntu without going through the trouble of setting everything up again. I also prefer a re-themed unity-greeter to mdm. Do both of those, and you get 90% of the ubuntu experience with 10% of the effort. Plus, everything will still be there if you decide you don't like Ubuntu/Unity.
The easiest way to do this is install the "ubuntu-desktop" package via synaptic or apt-get. You can also try kubuntu with the "kubuntu-desktop" package.

Return to “Chat about Linux”