KDE, GNOME and Xfce support Wayland... what about Cinnamon?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dee.

KDE, GNOME and Xfce support Wayland... what about Cinnamon?

Post by dee. »

KDE, Xfce and GNOME have already expressed their explicit support of Wayland, and their plans to implement Wayland support for the desktop environments as soon as possible. GNOME even recently said that they would speed up Wayland development - perhaps as a response to Canonical's plans. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTMyNjQ

It would be nice to hear something similar from Cinnamon/Mint. I'm not sure how much Cinnamon has deviated from its parent, but if GNOME implements Wayland support, shouldn't it be easy to import those changes to Cinnamon?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DisappearingOak

Re: KDE, GNOME and Xfce support Wayland... what about Cinnam

Post by DisappearingOak »

As a user, it does not really matter to me what's under the hood as long as I can use my favourite Cinnamon desktop. But I think the shift to the micro-server Wayland possibly has benefits for developers, I don't know, I'm not a dev. But as a user, what I would like to see are faster/less buggy drivers. I'm on a Radeon HD 4250 chip and I find that 3d desktops tend to be slow for me.

Inetresting note: I was using KDE for some time and found that the wobbly windows and 3d effects were very jerky. Then one day I enabled the Show FPS effect and found that all 3d effects are super smooth! I thought my drivers were not fast enough but what was happening was because of bugs. :shock: But, truth is, that Cinnamon/Unity etc are also a little slow for me, Cinnamon not so much but Unity and GS a lot. So, whatever the problem is, I hope it's fixed soon. :x

There's Mir display server also now. I think, possibly, Mint will choose whatever is of the most practical benefit for the end user. I also hope to hear more on this issue. But neither of the new servers are ready yet, anyway.
dee.

Post by dee. »

Add Enlightenment to the list...

https://phab.enlightenment.org/phame/li ... g_wayland/
DisappearingOak wrote:As a user, it does not really matter to me what's under the hood as long as I can use my favourite Cinnamon desktop. But I think the shift to the micro-server Wayland possibly has benefits for developers, I don't know, I'm not a dev. But as a user, what I would like to see are faster/less buggy drivers. I'm on a Radeon HD 4250 chip and I find that 3d desktops tend to be slow for me.
Wayland will bring plenty of benefits for the user. Fullscreen and multi-monitor handling is pretty awful on X, this is expected to improve hugely on Wayland. Wayland will also do away with lots of legacy code, and should allow a faster, more efficient handling of graphics.
DMGrier

Post by DMGrier »

Since Mint is Ubuntu based won't we end up with Mir, saying Canonical can pull it off.
Nimphina

Post by Nimphina »

DMGrier wrote:Since Mint is Ubuntu based won't we end up with Mir, saying Canonical can pull it off.
It's Unity that will be using Mir. Gnome, Mate, XFCE etc I would expect to use wayland.
dee.

Post by dee. »

Nimphina wrote:
DMGrier wrote:Since Mint is Ubuntu based won't we end up with Mir, saying Canonical can pull it off.
It's Unity that will be using Mir. Gnome, Mate, XFCE etc I would expect to use wayland.
They have stated as much. Of the major desktops, only Cinnamon and MATE have yet to announce which display server they are going to use.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

I would guess that Cinnamon would use wayland, since it's based in Gnome 3. I'm not a dev, so I don't know though.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

http://www.muktware.com/5356/clement-le ... linux-mint - Clement`s perspective on Mir.
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2327#comment-90941
PS:
One of the Kubuntu developer asked:“Does that mean that after next April, the X stack and Wayland will no longer be maintained by Canonical, so that flavors that are using a standard display stack are on their own?”
The answer:“So yes for flavors staying on X.org bases may need to be more involved in tending to their foundation, but you’ll likely always have the Debian base to build from which I expect should be solid for as long as X11 remains relevant.”
and appendix by Jono Bacon, Ubuntu’s PR guy: “It just seems to me Ubuntu and Kubuntu is more closely aligned than ever – sure there are differences, but there is a lot of commonality on the foundation, and the convergence story in Ubuntu will result in useful foundational work that will benefit KDE across these different devices too (e.g. Plasma Active).”
But I strongly believe, that this thread is already known to You.

Edit by Clem: ATI/nVidia support Xorg, and Xorg is stable and functional. This is what matters to us. A lot of devs are working on Wayland and not on Xorg these days and some Ubuntu devs will probably focus on MIR more than on Xorg going forward. So it’s likely things won’t remain that way indefinitely. With that said we’re not in the business of picking winners. Good luck to both Wayland and MIR in trying to become the next big thing, we’ll look at all that when the time is right.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”