How to remove a daemon from auto-starting at boot?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Q-collective

How to remove a daemon from auto-starting at boot?

Post by Q-collective »

So, probably an easy question, but I can't find the answer straight away.

I have a backup service running, CrashPlan, which is using my external hard disk as one backup destination. However, at boot time I don't always have the disk plugged in. So, what does CrashPlan do? It just creates a /media/<username>/System Backup directory on its own and starts backing up... on my internal hard drive...

So, I rather just want to avoid having the crashplan daemon in /etc/init.d start up at boot time, so I can do that myself on an as-needed basis. The question is: How do I do that?

In Gentoo I would just run as root:

Code: Select all

rc-update del crashplan boot
Which would remove the crashplan from the bootlevel. What is the equivalent on Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: How to remove a daemon from auto-starting at boot?

Post by bigj231 »

I think you just need to remove it from/comment it out of your /etc/rc.local. I'm not 100% sure on that though.
Q-collective

Post by Q-collective »

bigj231 wrote:I think you just need to remove it from/comment it out of your /etc/rc.local. I'm not 100% sure on that though.
The /etc/rc.local is empty by default. Do I have to manually edit it? Or is there a tool (eg like Gentoo's rc-update) that does it for me?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

See if it's listed in Startup Applications, in Start menu.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Q-collective

Post by Q-collective »

TehGhodTrole wrote:See if it's listed in Startup Applications, in Start menu.
I might be mistaking, but doesn't Startup Applications only list user level applications?

I'm not at home right now but did open SA yesterday for another little tweak and don't remember seeing crashplan there.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Yes, the rc.local is empty by default, but you could kill/stop crashplan upon boot by adding a line to it. see:http://www.ghacks.net/2009/04/04/get-to ... directory/ More specifically, use something like:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/crashplan stop
Of course, use the correct script name there.

I don't know of a utility that will update your rc.local for you. To be honest, I just manually edited it when I was running Gentoo.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

If the service is managed by upstart, you have at least 2 solutions to prevent its start at boot:

- locate the right .conf file under /etc/init and rename it with anything that does not end with .conf*
or (better)
- comment the line "start on..." by adding a leading # there

cf: http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/#dis ... y-starting
Q-collective

Post by Q-collective »

Ok, thanks for these replies. I'll try them as soon as I get home :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”