Bring in the Kraut

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BrowserXL

Bring in the Kraut

Post by BrowserXL »

Hello everyone,

my name is Andre, I was born in 1977 and my homebase is in northern Germany (Hamburg to be more precise). I earn my paycheck as a network administrator for an insurance company.

After some not so encouraging experiments with SUSE 7.3Pro (yes this was a long time ago), I burried the Linux idea for a long time. Windows became increasingly stabel and l had a steep learning curve which made working with it fun.
Now my job requires me to spend more time on Linux machines and I gave things a second shot and got involved with Mint14. So far I am really impressed and feel the excitement again of really learning something using this OS. I started switching from my Win7 machine some days ago and continue this process step by step, since I do not only want to use Mint, but understand how it works to get a more profound base for my work.

On the private side, I spend my time with active webradio (curently on a hiatus though), classical offline games (board, cosim, tabletop) and devouring books on every occasion I get. Six months ago these hobbies had to share their time with my son who was born in september and keeps daddy running all days long.

Cheers
XL
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Bring in the Kraut

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Hi Andre - Welcome to the Mint family. Glad to know that you're liking Mint and seems you have an interesting set of pass-time activities.
I am an avid reader myself (just completed Fountainhead by Ayn Rand) and also had bought myself a Kindle few years ago although not finding much time these days.

Looking forward for your participation in forums here. Your network admin experience could help many Mint users!
BrowserXL

Post by BrowserXL »

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome.

I guess I am lucky, since I have one hour to read garantueed every day while using public transport to go to work or back home. Yeah a kindle comes in handy there and I got myself one as well. Currently finishing "the painted man" which was recommended by a fellow administrator.

If there is anything I can do that is related to switching, routing, loadbalancing and troubleshooting I will gladly help.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Hmm...I try to read while I commute to and fro from home to office in cab. Good thing is i can manage Kindle with Calibre which has a Linux version as well.
I have read only two fantasies till date - Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.
Not sure about maintenance of this site, but have seen many user posts asking for assistance in terms of sharing data between Windows and Linux machines, setting up network, remote desktop, etc. You could browse the forums leisurely and could could offer your help if you could.
http://www.linuxmint.com/getinvolved.php - For more ideas.
BrowserXL

Post by BrowserXL »

Thanks for the hint. I was wondering whether I had to install the kindle app via Wine, but I will check out calibre.
Actually I have only read the Ring, and skipped Poter altogether. I am really in love with russian authors. Books like Nochnoi Dozor or Metro 2033 have a very own and very interesting style.

Thats what I am doing already :) Checking for new posts regularly and see whether I can contribute or learn something ;)
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day.
Welcome to the forum.
:mrgreen:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”