Flash Drive Problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ssernity

Flash Drive Problem

Post by ssernity »

I was wondering if someone could explain to my how to fix my flash drive. I put my flash drive into my brother's computer and linux read it fine. But when i plugged it into m windows desktop it didnt read right, for some reason it gave me weird symbols instead of the files that are on it. I plugged it back into my brother's computer and it worked perfectly' it rad the flash drive just fine and showed the file i had on it. Thinking it was fine i plugged it back into my desktop but it did the same thing it did before' it didnt read the flash drive right. Does anyone know what i can do sso it will read normally on my desktop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Flash Drive Problem

Post by KBD47 »

ssernity wrote:I was wondering if someone could explain to my how to fix my flash drive. I put my flash drive into my brother's computer and linux read it fine. But when i plugged it into m windows desktop it didnt read right, for some reason it gave me weird symbols instead of the files that are on it. I plugged it back into my brother's computer and it worked perfectly' it rad the flash drive just fine and showed the file i had on it. Thinking it was fine i plugged it back into my desktop but it did the same thing it did before' it didnt read the flash drive right. Does anyone know what i can do sso it will read normally on my desktop?
Before you do anything you should back up the files on your brother's computer where it worked so you don't lose anything. If I remember correctly, at least on XP, you could right click on a drive like that and have it run a scan to fix any issues. I have had no problems with Sandisk, but both PNY and Kingston flash drives have given me trouble, particularly with Linux. I have had to toss out PNY and Kingston flash drives that have done what you explained, but sometimes I have run a scan in Windows and it will correct the issues. I hate using Windows, but sometimes it works.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

ssernity

I hope that you are "safely removing" this flash drive before removing it from the computer, this applies to both Windows and also in Linux

Best regards Keith
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

Would imply that your pc doesn't like that usb stick...

Return to “Beginner Questions”