Help! File system/partitions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
D35TR0Y3R

Help! File system/partitions

Post by D35TR0Y3R »

I've been interested in getting a distro of linux for a while, and am just now getting around to it. I downloaded the disc image and put it on a dvd, and am running off the dvd right now. I don't have a single drive that I could format and make just Mint, and Im having trouble with the partition stuff. From my past experiences, deleting a partition deletes everything inside the partition. My installer wont let me make a new partition inside the current partition table on any of my drives. I cant afford to lose what's on my drives, and cant back it up easily. Can someone guide me through a solution to this please? Also, what file system do I choose?

Thanks a lot guys,
D35TR0Y3R
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: Help! File system/partitions

Post by bigj231 »

Download virtualbox if you aren't sure you want to stick with Mint. It eliminates the hassles of resizing partitions, and gives you some neat features too (like save states). Also, use Windows' built-in utility to shrink your partitions when you do want to install. I haven't had issues with it in the past.
Lastly, if you don't have backups of at least your data now, you need to make them. DVDs are cheap.

I like EXT4. Most people here will agree.
D35TR0Y3R

Post by D35TR0Y3R »

bigj231 wrote:Download virtualbox if you aren't sure you want to stick with Mint. It eliminates the hassles of resizing partitions, and gives you some neat features too (like save states). Also, use Windows' built-in utility to shrink your partitions when you do want to install. I haven't had issues with it in the past.
Lastly, if you don't have backups of at least your data now, you need to make them. DVDs are cheap.

I like EXT4. Most people here will agree.
Alright, thanks. Some people on irc explained most of my questions. I have an external hard drive that I'm planning on making backups to.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

http://youtu.be/gVCfeFOxGLQ External install - something to entertain. How to install mint to an external drive [:)]
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

D35TR0Y3R wrote:Alright, thanks. Some people on irc explained most of my questions. I have an external hard drive that I'm planning on making backups to.
Good. Make sure to make a system image instead of just backups. that way you can skip the whole reinstalling step if something goes wrong. Look up Acronis True Image WD edition for windows. I've used it with success and its free too.

Return to “Beginner Questions”