remove windows completely <SOLVED>

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
noothgrush

remove windows completely <SOLVED>

Post by noothgrush »

Hello, I am very new to linux and not exactly computer savvy. I recently ran into some real pain in the rear problems with windows and decided to just get rid of it and switch to linux (mint with cinnamon). It was a real chore to get it going (due to the problems i was having in windows, not because of any flaw in linux) but finally i was successful.

Now i thought that when i installed it, that i just installed right over windows, but saw upon reboot that windows was still on the computer. i was never asked to choose any partitions (what ever those are) or anything like that. i do not use windows for anything since i dont game on my computer anymore, but i left windows on here just in case.

today however i got a "low disk space warning" message. i am fairly sure that i have plenty of space left, so i thought maybe linux is only installed and using a tiny amount of disk space and windows is hogging it all.

is there a way to check this? and can i make it use most of the memory and either get rid of windows entirely, or at least barely have it on here?

sorry if this is the wrong area for this, im not sure how to define "long complicated questions" because to me they all seem long and complicated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: remove windows completely

Post by passerby »

Open a terminal (Accessories > Terminal) and run:

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
then enter your root password when prompted.

This will display your partition table, so we can see what is taking up how much space.
Please post the output of that command here.
noothgrush

Post by noothgrush »

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xaa9693fe

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 2048 52430847 26214400 1c Hidden W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda2 * 52430848 976771119 462170136 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xbbc58b91

/dev/sdb1 2048 488368127 244183040 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sdb2 488368128 976773167 244202520 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
passerby

Post by passerby »

I would've thought that you chose to install alongside Win7 instead of over it, hence the minimal space, but I don't see any EXT or Swap partitions.
You can fix this by booting into a live DVD/CD/USB, opening GParted and editing the partitions manually, but if you haven't already customized the hell out of your OS (ie. you don't mind losing the changes made) I suggest reinstalling Mint, this time deleting Win7 and separating your install into different partitions for /, /home and swap.
If you do reinstall (or adjust your partitioning scheme) I suggest reading some of this: http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11872
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

/dev/sda1 2048 52430847 26214400 1c Hidden W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda2 * 52430848 976771119 462170136 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
sda1 would be the system_backup_partition, sometimes called "PQSERVICE".
sda2 would be the C: drive.

sdb must be the D: drive . .
- usually this is sda3
but you have two 500Gb hdd's

what I usually tell people to do - is to erase & use that D: partition,
as almost nobody uses it - they don't seem to know that it is supposed to used to store your Data. ( pics, movies, music etc)

in your case , since you want to erase windows completely,
reboot with the live_cd & when the installer gets to 'where to install' - use the option to use the Whole Drive.
- usually *not* the 1st option, - it's a bit further down that list.

You will lose everything on the hdd - including the current Mint setup.

There are other ways, to have a more efficient partition setup, but goes with this method,
until you are more used to linux, or are prepared to wipe the hdd, a few times more, to get used to how the installer works.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
noothgrush

Post by noothgrush »

Thank you all very much for your help. I reinstalled linux using a iso image on a dvd. i was previously unable to do this due to my issues with windows (stopped letting me log into my account, would re-direct me to a temporary account every time). I chose the option to completely erase windows since hopefully i wont have to use it again. I am having some issues with linux but that is for another thread. it is very awesome to have such a helpful community.

Return to “Beginner Questions”