Can it be justified to use Adblock plus here?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Getafix

Can it be justified to use Adblock plus here?

Post by Getafix »

Aaah, may be its because I am old and I still care for good people. Is it a decent thing to use Adblock plus when visiting Linux Mint forums?

Yes! you know the forums make some money with the help of Ads. It is like having my magic fluid and not caring to say 'thank you'.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can it be justified to use Adblock plus here?

Post by Matt267 »

I have adblock plus turn off while visiting the Mint site and forums. I even click on the ads from time to time (mainly the ads for System76). I feel like I'm helping the servers stay powered.

Matt
Getafix

Post by Getafix »

It also needs to be mentioned that .. even though I am old, I have feelings you know. I would also prefer not to see these girls smiling at me in between posts.
Getafix

Post by Getafix »

Matt267 wrote:I have adblock plus turn off while visiting the Mint site and forums. I even click on the ads from time to time (mainly the ads for System76). I feel like I'm helping the servers stay powered.

Matt
That is kind of you Matt. I too disabled Adblock a few days ago on both my browsers.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Ads help fund the project, along with sponsors and donors. Your support makes a difference; letting the Linux Mint developers work full time on Linux Mint. You could do as some other users have decided to do; block ads but become a sponsor or donor :wink: http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
dee.

Post by dee. »

I have a policy of not turning off adblock except for sites where I can be sure that there's no malicious and/or obnoxious ads. If the Mint forum can guarantee that the ads displayed will not be like that (ie. no silly flash animations that take up CPU resources, no pop-ups, etc.) then I can turn off adblock. Otherwise, I'd much rather keep it on and donate some money to Mint when I get the chance.
Getafix

Post by Getafix »

Right. Donating some money and switching off Ad is a good idea.
BrowserXL

Post by BrowserXL »

I think that it is ok to use adblock. The ads come from Google adwords and if I am not mistaken they do not pay PPV (Pay per View) but PPC (Pay per Click) or even worse expect qualified leads. Meaning that seeing those ads won't wash money into the pockets of the dev team. My time with the German Altavista Ad department is gone some years now, but I gues the revenuestream of such campaigns hasn't increased significantly as well as the conversion rate of such banners. With a man in the middle the money trickling in on the mint side is most likely not really significant.
I would advocate to eliminate the man in the middle and directly give the money where it belongs to. At least thats the way I intend to go, once my final test is through.

Cheers XL
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I always turn off my blockers on sites for things I support. I like Mint and I like these forums so when I am here shields are down.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”