Endless touchpad problems

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phlebas

Endless touchpad problems

Post by phlebas »

Hey all,

I have recently installed Linux mint 13 Xfce and have run into a problem I've experienced with several other mint and non-mint Linux distros. Almost every few minutes my mouse pointer(using a touchpad) will freeze and/or become extremely erratic(zoom all over the desktop selecting things at will).(My usb mouse works fine though and this occurs with it connected and unconnected). This is always accompanied by the following output from dmesg:

Code: Select all

[ 2608.107214] psmouse serio1: TouchPad at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 1
[ 2608.108266] psmouse serio1: TouchPad at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 1
[ 2608.109351] psmouse serio1: TouchPad at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 1
[ 2608.110420] psmouse serio1: TouchPad at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 1
[ 2608.110426] psmouse serio1: issuing reconnect request
[ 2608.954259] psmouse serio1: synaptics: Unable to initialize device.
[ 2609.678212] i8042: Can't write CTR while closing AUX port
[ 2609.925667] atkbd serio1: keyboard reset failed on isa0060/serio1
I've experienced the exact same problem in Linux mint 11 and the latest satble Debian 6.something.

I've tried changing the sensitivity of the touchpad using the 'Mouse and Touchpad' application and I've also tried fiddling with gpointing-device-settings but to no avail. (gpointing-device-settings has recently started crashing on execution with a segmentation fault). I've also tried the following workaround:

Code: Select all

rmmod psmouse
modprobe psmouse
which only works on occasion. My touchpad has been fine for awhile on this new install but now I'm back to the usuall problem. Anyone have a fix for this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sammiam

Re: Endless touchpad problems

Post by sammiam »

:( I too have had endless issues with my trackpad... I can make it fail... all I have to do is open a terminal window, and the trackpad totally stops working... I did as I have seen, where you do the modprobe -r psmouse, and then modprobe psmouse to get everything back to working again...... I was able to get things working on a permanent basis by setting the options for the psmouse to imps the problem with doing that is, I then loose the scrolling capabilities of the trackpad... I can't believe with all the hits I get with google search, that something has not yet been done to correct the multitude of problems with this device....

Return to “Xfce”