user management password

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gsx1100f

user management password

Post by gsx1100f »

I have just installed the KDE edition of linux mint 14.
I read on the internet how to join a windows workgroup, however when I try to edit the etc/samba/smb.conf file, I do not have the permission to save the changes. I don't know the administrator password (it didn't ask me during the installation).
If I go to the user management, It tells me that /usr/bin/kcmshell4 userconfig needs administrative privileges and asks mo for a password. The current (and only existing user) password does not work and no blank password.
How can I get the passwords?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cecar

Re: user management password

Post by cecar »

The password is your login password. You are the administrator of your computer.
gsx1100f

Post by gsx1100f »

It does not let me run the user management with my password, as if I was not the administrator

/EDIT/ after a few times it did let me in the user management, but I still kave the problem that I cannot change the smb.conf file.
Last edited by gsx1100f on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cecar

Post by cecar »

To edit your smb.conf file. In Terminal:

Code: Select all

gksu kate /etc/samba/smb.conf
gsx1100f

Post by gsx1100f »

I typed what you said and it gave me : "The program 'gksu' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install gksu"

When I typed: "sudo apt-get install gksu"
I got: "[sudo] password for ruben:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
gcr gnome-keyring libcap2-bin libgck-1-0 libgcr-3-1 libgcr-3-common
libgksu2-0 libgtop2-7 libgtop2-common libpam-cap libpam-gnome-keyring
Suggested packages:
libcap-dev
The following NEW packages will be installed:
gcr gksu gnome-keyring libcap2-bin libgck-1-0 libgcr-3-1 libgcr-3-common
libgksu2-0 libgtop2-7 libgtop2-common libpam-cap libpam-gnome-keyring
0 upgraded, 12 newly installed, 0 to remove and 419 not upgraded.
E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/cache/apt/archives/"
cecar

Post by cecar »

Sorry its kdesu in KDE.

kdesu kate /etc/samba/smb.conf
gsx1100f

Post by gsx1100f »

I get "kdesu: command not found".

The problem is not editing the file (there is an editor "Kate" that edits the file). My problem is that I cannot save the changes
cecar

Post by cecar »

gsx1100f wrote:I get "kdesu: command not found".

The problem is not editing the file (there is an editor "Kate" that edits the file). My problem is that I cannot save the changes
That's because you edit it without administrator rights so you have to open it with super user priviligies. This one SHOULD work.

sudo kate /etc/samba/smb.conf
gsx1100f

Post by gsx1100f »

Thx

Return to “Beginner Questions”