What is the GDebi Package Installer

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whs

What is the GDebi Package Installer

Post by whs »

When I open this installer, everything is greyed out on the window. All I can do with it is to close it. I cannot even type into it. Should I uninstall it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: What is the GDebi Package Installer

Post by bigj231 »

Do not uninstall it. You need to give it root permissions to unlock everything. It's used to graphically install .deb packages that aren't already in the repositories.
whs

Post by whs »

Thanks for the answer. But even with root permission it does nothing - it's all grey.
cecar

Post by cecar »

whs wrote:Thanks for the answer. But even with root permission it does nothing - it's all grey.
If you download a .deb file and rightclick on it you can choose to open it with gdebi to install the program. It will then ask you for password.
whs

Post by whs »

OK, understand, thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”