Modify Live CD as per needs?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zibs.shirsh

Modify Live CD as per needs?

Post by zibs.shirsh »

Hey! :)
i am new to linux. I moved on to linux cause I was dead bored of using XP

So I instaled Linux Mint - Nadia from a Live CD
now the thing is, I have made some changes in it - not like progarmming, but installing softwares, changing settings, shortcuts etc and I want to install Nadia on some other machine too

the thing is, it took me really long time to modify Nadia as per my needs, and installing the original thing on a new machine & working it all the way up is something I'd hate to do!

so, my question is, is it possible to make a new live cd, with all me stuff in it already?
i mean, when i install Nadia from 'this' cd on any other machine, all the settings & softwares & files would be the same as they were on my current machine

is it possible with any software or by terminal or something?
please reply/help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Modify Live CD as per needs?

Post by viking777 »

http://www.remastersys.com/

Just don't ask me how to use it, I don't know.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Additionally, if the new machine doesn't have identical hardware, specifically graphics, network card (nic), monitor: you still wouldn't be able to dump your system image into another one
  • This is why, when a company generates workstation (client PC) settings, they usually create a standard machine: identical hardware, identical disk drive formatted partitions in order to make an image dump easier, and even then some hand-holding tweaks might still be necessary
  • If they don't so that, they have to completely plan a scripted install in order to accomodate some hardware options
    --for example managers tend to get the highest performing machines, except in corporations that understand BPM, knowing that employee productivity is aided by the right tools..
There are even companies that can make a business out of this..
http://www.scriptinstallation.in/index.html

http://www.symantec.com/connect/article ... tallations
http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/w ... ion-passes
--windows centric, they can do it too: it is only a matter of good/complete planning!
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Additionally, if the new machine doesn't have identical hardware, specifically graphics, network card (nic), monitor: you still wouldn't be able to dump your system image into another one
I used to believe that as well until just recently. I started reading about the subject and found people saying it was not so. I was very sceptical about this until I tried it for myself. I didn't use remastersys, I used an image from qt4-fsarchiver, but the results were startling.

The donor machine - the one from which the image was taken - was a Fujitsu laptop with a Samsung hard drive, Intel graphics, Realtek Ethernet,Intel wifi, and Intel sound, the image was a Ubuntu partition which was installed in Uefi mode.

The recipient machine was an Acer laptop with a Western Digital hard drive, Nvidia graphics, Broadcom ethernet, Intel wifi (but a different version using a different driver), and Intel sound (a different version but using the same driver), the recipient machine had never heard of Uefi.

The image was placed onto a different partition number on a smaller sized partition. It took a long time to start up the first time, but it did start and it worked perfectly.

The reason it did so is that all the modules it needed to run on the new hardware were already present in /etc/modules, all it had to do was load them. Obviously it didn't run the proprietary Nvidia graphics module, it used Nouveau, but it still worked.

I must admit to being very surprised at those results, but it is a fact so I can't dispute it. Linux is much more flexible than either of us previously believed.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Cloning a Linux installation onto another machine equipped with different hardware usually works fine. Indeed, the only caveats I met were when the main GPU brand changed (i.e NVidia to AMD) and the source machine was using proprietary GPU drivers. Obviously, the new machine must share the same hardware architecture since for example you can't install a PC 64bit flavour on an i386 32bit CPU.

Edit: otherwise, live-media and live-distros would not have been so popular and successful.

Return to “Software & Applications”