Problem luanching games

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ewan_k

Problem luanching games

Post by Ewan_k »

Hi there, I installed mint 14 a few days ago and I'm really impressed with it so far.

However today I encountered a problem, I can no longer luanch any programs under "games".
Yesterday I was playing cube2 no problem, but today I installed a few more games and not one of them will luanch, including cube2.

A tab will open on the task manager and icon bounces by the mouse and after about 30 seconds the tab closes and that's it. All other software seems to work fine, just games.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ewan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ewan_k

Re: Problem luanching games

Post by Ewan_k »

Just installed Ardour 3 and that wont boot either.
Zalbor

Post by Zalbor »

Try opening a terminal (you're using KDE, right? it should be called Konsole) and running the program from there. It will probably print output that explains (to some extent) why it won't run.
The name of the executable is most often the name of the program, but if you can't find it right click on the menu icon on the taskbar, choose "edit applications", and find the program in the menu. The name of the executable should be there.
Ewan_k

Post by Ewan_k »

Thanks, all programs that wont open give this error :

Code: Select all

X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  153 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
  Serial number of failed request:  20
  Current serial number in output stream:  20
Ewan_k

Post by Ewan_k »

Update: I've just uninstalled fglrx (amd drivers) and games will now luanch, however even simple 2d games run very slowly. I have a x1550 wich should be able to handle them. Presumably this is becuase I uninstalled the drivers.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Ewan_k wrote:Update: I've just uninstalled fglrx (amd drivers) and games will now luanch, however even simple 2d games run very slowly. I have a x1550 wich should be able to handle them. Presumably this is becuase I uninstalled the drivers.
x1550 is a bit older. This ppa package might be the thing for you. fglrx-legacy:
https://launchpad.net/~makson96/+archive/fglrx
Ewan_k

Post by Ewan_k »

Just tryed that, but got the exact same issue of programs not starting. Thanks though.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

How about going into the game folder location and starting the game: does it run
--then I would check the properties of the control you are using: the menu selection seeing how it starts, and try that from a terminal in the game folder: does that start
--then I would move to /home, drop to a terminal and try the gane start function (your control method, either the game run file or however the game is being loaded via the menu): does it start

If any of that works, I might just redit/touch the menu and save the same data (if nothing needs changed), see if then runs from the menus

After this, I am out of easy steps to test..

Return to “Software & Applications”