[SOLVED] Opening mounted drives folders on startup

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
larsjuh

[SOLVED] Opening mounted drives folders on startup

Post by larsjuh »

Hello !

I've a bit of a annoying problem.

In my /etc/fstab i've setup a mounted network drive, so it'll mount at startup..

Code: Select all

//10.0.0.9/HDD01 /media/HDD01 cifs credentials=xxxxx,dir_mode=0775 0 0
But everytime i startup my pc it'll open the folder and show me the contents of the drive..
Is there a way to prevent this?

I want it to mount of course, but it must not popup at boot..

Thanks for your time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Opening mounted drives folders on startup

Post by altair4 »

Change the mount point to something other than /media or anywhere in your home folder. Something like:

Code: Select all

/mnt/HDD01
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

+1
The /media folder is reserved by the system to on-the-fly removable (mainly user-mounted) devices.
larsjuh

Post by larsjuh »

all right thanks that did the job :D

But why is it when i mount my second hard drive on /media/xxx (internal harddrive) that it will not show the folder on startup? :D

Because i kinda like the /media/ folder because it'll show the mounted drives in "My computer"
eanfrid

Re: [SOLVED] Opening mounted drives folders on startup

Post by eanfrid »

An internal HDD is not considered as a removable drive.

For the sake of understanding the folders tree , you can check there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem ... y_Standard :)
barefoot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barefoot »

Thanks for this thread.

I had the same thing, with a couple of NAS shares I had mounted in my home directory. Every startup, they would open as soon as they mounted.

Now I've moved them to /mnt (and put symlinks in my home directory), and everything is good in the world.

tim
effigy

Post by effigy »

barefoot wrote:Thanks for this thread.

I had the same thing, with a couple of NAS shares I had mounted in my home directory. Every startup, they would open as soon as they mounted.

Now I've moved them to /mnt (and put symlinks in my home directory), and everything is good in the world.

tim
Could you please describe the steps you took in detail?
I'm having the same issue since doing dist-upgrade a few days ago. my thumb drive is opening everytime I startup or resume from suspend.
I tried mkdir /mnt/USB
and added to fstab: /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/USB auto defaults 0 0

the folder no longer opens but also is no longer visable in nemo...

Please describe the steps you took.. I'm missing something here.
Thank you.

Return to “Other topics”