Boot problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
llinux

Boot problems

Post by llinux »

I used the Windows 7 Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.2.9.exe to install linuxmint-14.1-mate-dvd-32bit.iso to a SanDisk 32GB USB drive (1GB extra storage). I first tried using UNetbootin and was able to get Mint to run without any persistence. After reformatting the usb to fat32, I did the Universal-USB-Install. The files on the usb are:
M:\.disk
M:\boot
M:\casper
M:\dists
M:\install
M:\preseed
M:\syslinux
M:\autorun.inf
M:\casper-rw
M:\license.txt
M:\md5sum.txt
M:\MD5SUMS
M:\mint4win.exe
M:\Uni-USB-Installer-Copying.txt
M:\Uni-USB-Installer-Readme.txt

When I try to boot into the usb drive, I choose the 'Start Linux Mint' option, but I am getting the following error:
'Invalid or corrupt kernel image'
'Boot:'

Any answers as to what is going on here or what I could type into the 'Boot:' parameter to get it to start? I have tried reinstalling a couple of times to no avail.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
llinux

Re: Boot problems

Post by llinux »

Oh Boy! Just checked the MD5 of the iso file and it is wrong. The file is apparently corrupted.

Return to “Beginner Questions”