Better laptop for Nadia?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aureus

Better laptop for Nadia?

Post by Aureus »

Hi, this is a pretty noobish question, but I would really appreciate a second opinion. I need to get a new laptop, but I was curious as to what would be more compatible for Mint 14 CInnmon 64-bit. I googled around and I'm just having a hard time figuring it out. I'm going to upgrade to 8gb of ram for either one. If both of these are poop, I'm also open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

2.5 GHz A-Series Dual-Core A4-4300M with an AMD Radeon HD 7420G
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Series-NP ... g+np365e5c

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 3210M with Intel HD 4000
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834310634
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Better laptop for Nadia?

Post by passerby »

The latter is a better laptop, IMO, but the former has a graphics card, which is currently a big yes if you want to run Cinnamon.
I recommend going for a Lenovo or Dell laptop. They're known for having better linux compatibility. Lenovo in particular I can speak from experience.
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Your second choice has a slow HD and the first choice dose not give the HD speed.

I prefer Toshiba Laptops Intel based only.
semicolon

Post by semicolon »

I'd go with the 2nd one, the intel processor is slightly better and also the integrated HD4000 graphics aren't even quite so bad, it outperforms some graphics cards. Still, it depends on the intended use of the laptop, if you would use the computer especially for gaming or photo/video editing you might want to choose something with better graphics. But for everyday use both seem very capable to me.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

If you buy one with Intel graphics, you won't have to deal with drivers.

Return to “Beginner Questions”