Switching from Windows 8 to Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
braveheart89

Switching from Windows 8 to Linux Mint

Post by braveheart89 »

Hello folks,

I want to switch a computer from Windows 8 to Linux MInt. But I may encounter some problems along the way:
1. What about Secure Boot? Can this prevent me from switching to Linux Mint alltogether? Or is it as simple as going into BIOS and switching something there?
2. The videorecorder (of my dad) has a Flash card. Is it as simple as plugging in an USB-cable to get access to the files on the videorecorder?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Switching from Windows 8 to Linux Mint

Post by viking777 »

1) It depends on your bios version, if it has settings to switch off Secure Boot then do so. You are probably far better off switching off Uefi as well if you can, it serves no purpose except to complicate things. If it doesn't have these settings - and some don't - then life is much more difficult.

2) If you have a flash card reader just unplug it from the video recorder and plug it in to the computer. Mint should be able to read it without too much difficulty (unless it uses some strange filesystem for storage).
braveheart89

Post by braveheart89 »

Can you point to a few pages to which I can turn to if the situation of the BIOS is a worst-case scenario?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

not without knowing what your H/W manufacturer is . .
- when it is booting, it should should give a key to press, to get into the bios area.
just look around, maybe in security or advanced, for something about secure_boot - see if that can be turned off.
also look for UEFI & see if that can be set to legacy bios.

- if you can get through all of that, then look at this newbie thread:-
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=128430

or this one:-
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 77#p698977
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
braveheart89

Post by braveheart89 »

Thank you for your answers.

Return to “Beginner Questions”