No HDMI Sound HP Pavilion DV7

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
odo5435

No HDMI Sound HP Pavilion DV7

Post by odo5435 »

We are running with LinuxMint13 KDE. Sound is OK using kaffeine through on-board speakers and works fine on TV through HDMI cable using Windows. All settings appear correct unless there is something I've missed....
snapshot1.png
snapshot2.png
snapshot3.png
My specs are...

kathy@kathy-HP-Pavilion-dv7-Notebook-PC ~ $ lspci
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

kathy@kathy-HP-Pavilion-dv7-Notebook-PC ~ $ lshw
*-multimedia
description: Audio device
product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1b
bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
version: 03
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=0
resources: irq:50 memory:df000000-df003fff

kathy@kathy-HP-Pavilion-dv7-Notebook-PC ~ $ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec* | grep Codec
Codec: IDT 92HD71B7X
Codec: LSI ID 1040
Codec: Nvidia MCP77/78 HDMI

kathy@kathy-HP-Pavilion-dv7-Notebook-PC ~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

I've searched this forum extensively and browsed a couple of others and this appears to be a common problem but I cannot find a thread where any solution is offered. If there is a solution to this problem could someone kindly point me to the right location or must we accept that HDMI sound does not work in LM13?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: No HDMI Sound HP Pavilion DV7

Post by catweazel »

If you haven't already done so, install the proprietary drivers for your video card. You'll have to check, but I think your machine uses nVidia for its video.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
odo5435

Post by odo5435 »

Installing the proprietary drivers is turning into a nightmare! After finally working out how to execute the .run file I'm being told I need to exit 'X'. At this page it says "begin installation by exiting X".

I wasn't even aware I was in 'X', have no idea how to locate it and certainly don't know how to exit it. Can anyone help?
odo5435

Post by odo5435 »

Watch this space.

I've not given up on this problem and have yet to solve it. I had hoped to solve this problems on my wife's notebook fairly quickly. It has taken me years to convince her to try LinuxMint on her machine and it's a little galling to get the "I told you so" argument thrown at me. Finding the time to devote to research is proving difficult but, as no-one here seems to have any solution (or perhaps are just unwilling to help me), I'll have to nut this issue out on my own.

I promise I'll keep you all up to date with every step as it occurs. However, it may take some time due to other commitments.
marky1991

Post by marky1991 »

You could try looking at this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto

It helped me and I was having similar issues.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

You could try installing pavucontrol.
:? Your video card is Intel or Nvidia or dual set-up? If it is an Nvidia Optimus card setup then HDMI output is an issue.
Post your Graphic card specs.

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
Digression - http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/3844 - Plese note that I have posted an idea on having a Troubleshooting wizard in Mint for audio related issues. Request you have a look at it and provide your views and if it makes sense - cast your vote on it. Am rallying the user forums who have sound issues to get consensus on the idea. Let us join our hands together in building a user-friendly Linux Mint.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

odo5435 wrote:I've not given up
You shouldn't have to do any of that on Mint 13. The video drivers should install straight from the Additional Drivers application in the main menu.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

anandrkris wrote:You could try installing pavucontrol.
:? Your video card is Intel or Nvidia or dual set-up? If it is an Nvidia Optimus card setup then HDMI output is an issue.
Hellloooooo? Anyone home?
HP Pavilion DV7
That might also explain why the poster is using Mint 13 and not 14.

Return to “Software & Applications”