Usb Dac?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nostrata

Usb Dac?

Post by nostrata »

I'm new to linux and have been really enjoying it so far. But I've been considering getting a usb Dac specifically the schiit modi to improve the quality of sound. It is supposed to not require special drivers but I have read that it doesn't work with Linux. Does anyone have any experience with this one in particular, or maybe others that are known to be compatible?
Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Picani

Re: Usb Dac?

Post by Picani »

Hi !

I don't know the Schiit Modi (but looks nice) but I can recommend you the Musical Fidelity VDAC II with as a lot of details and a good response with instruments like violin, viola, cello or piano for example because they don't sound metallic. But it give me the impression the recording was in a big cold room (if you already were at a concert during winter with all windows opened you'll understand me ^^).

I own a Audinst HUD-mx2 which also can be use for headphone amp but I've an issue with it. However, when it will be fix, I'll hardly recommend it. Or the other products from this brand, they all have good reviews on Head-fi.

Hoping I helped you :)
nostrata

Post by nostrata »

Thanks for responding. The vdac is a bit more than I wanted to spend especially since it does not have an amp. But at least it let's me know they can work.
Picani

Post by Picani »

Usually, when no driver is needed for Windows, it'll work out of the box for Linux.
The vdac is a bit more than I wanted to spend especially since it does not have an amp.
The schiit modi doesn't have an amp. On the picture from the schiit's website, it's shown with the $99 magni. You'll have a $200 DAC + amp. Maybe you can check for others combo (or separated) stuffs in this price range.

From my search before I bought my HUD-mx2 you have :
- Matrix Cube
- Yulong u100
- Audinst HUD-mx1
- Audinst HUD-mx2 (I recommended it :D )
- Audinst mini
-O2+ODAC combo

You should check their and even ask on Head-fi.org for some advices from more qualified people.

Return to “Hardware Support”