PAE required to install Mint 14

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Art1

Re: PAE required to install Mint 14

Post by Art1 »

It is possible to create a live install CD of Mint 14 for non-PAE computers. I followed the tutorial on
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/918
and remastered the Cinnamon edition with the Ubuntu Precise kernel 3.2.0 for my two laptops with the Pentium M 715 processors. I haven't tested it for a long time, but for the present it works without problems with 512 MB RAM.
Sekhmet

Post by Sekhmet »

Hi,

Sorry to get back this old topic, but I'm having a quite similar problem...

I've been running Ubuntu on my old Thinkpad T42 for a while, and I wanted to install Linux Mint instead (faster, better, stronger, ... hm sorry ^^). Of course I got the "non-PAE" issue, and thanks to google, I found this this topic. :)
What is a bit weird is that I'm actually running the last Ubuntu (Quantal Quetzal), and it does work... why, I can't say. as far as I've read on the internet, it shouldn't. I got it from upgrading from the last version (and a long list of version before), it might work on pure luck, or maybe not... There is a risk that it might "break" with a future upgrade...

I'm wondering what would be the best to do now. I definitely want to keep my old laptop, at least for a couple of years (it seems to work better that some recent laptops I've seen, it has a very comfortable 4:3 screen that cannot be found now), so "buying a new laptop" is not an issue. I'm just wondering what you would do in my case:
- Try to install Linux Mint 14 with the patch explained in a previous post? I'm wondering if this is a good solution, especially if I have to be careful each time I have to install a new kernel (I'm sure I will forget one day)
- Install Linux Mint 13, which is a LTS, supported until 2017, that would give me some time to think about it (and maybe I'll have a new laptop then)
- Install Linux Mint 13, and trying to upgrade to 14. Risky, but what if it works "by pure luck" as in my case?
- Install Linux Mint Debian Edition or some other distribution? I'm not particularly afraid of a more "geeky" version of linux, but... would it be as stable ? And I'm used to the ubuntu way of working, I don't know exactly what this would change...
- Keep my ubuntu and hope that it will still work for a while?
- Something else I haven't thought about?

Thanks for your advice!
Art1

Post by Art1 »

I am not sure which option is the best, but I use Mint 14 with a non-PAE kernel during one month, and when I do automatic package upgrades, it never wants to upgrade the kernel packages.

From packages.ubuntu.com, Precise, I dowloaded packages linux-image-3.2.0-38-generic_3.2.0-38.61_i386.deb ,
linux-headers-3.2.0-38_3.2.0-38.61_all.deb and linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic_3.2.0-38.61_i386.deb . Then I followed the tutorial on http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/918 . During the tutorial, from a terminal outside the chroot, I copied the new Linux kernel DEB package (linux-image) and the two new kernel headers DEB packages (linux-headers and linux-headers-generic) into the chroot.

Then from a terminal outside the chroot:
mount --bind /dev /<path-to-chroot>/dev

From the chroot terminal:
apt-get purge linux-headers*
dpkg -i linux-image-3.2.0-38-generic_3.2.0-38.61_i386.deb
dpkg -i linux-headers-3.2.0-38_3.2.0-38.61_all.deb
dpkg -i linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic_3.2.0-38.61_i386.deb
rm linux-image* linux-headers*
apt-get purge linux-image-generic* linux-image-3.5.0*

From a terminal outside the chroot:
umount /<path-to-chroot>/dev

From the chroot terminal:
rm /boot/grub/grub.cfg; rm /etc/resolv.conf; rm /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf (answer Yes, No, OK)
mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.con

Then I continued the tutorial. When I closed the chroot terminal, from a terminal outside the chroot:
mv /<path-to-chroot>/etc/resolv.con /<path-to-chroot>/etc/resolv.conf

Then I clicked the "Next" button and finished the tutorial. It makes the non-PAE ISO DVD. If you want fit it on a CD, you must remove many packages from the chroot terminal.
mrtimdog

Post by mrtimdog »

Has anyone tried installing one of these non-PAE kernels post-install but pre-reboot?

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~webtom/+ju ... -pae/files
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Hi there,

It's possible to modify /proc/cpuinfo and fake the pae cpu extension.

I installed the fake-pae package from: https://launchpad.net/~prof7bit/+archive/fake-pae
and I was able to install a pae kernel on my Pentium-M (non-pae) powered laptop!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”