Moving from MFC to GTK – Whats involved?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gommtu

Moving from MFC to GTK – Whats involved?

Post by gommtu »

We presently have 500,000 lines of C++ code, of which about 75,000 lines use Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC) to provide the human interface (GUI). We especially use the multi-document classes of MFC and the Tree display (using a rich set of the features). We want to move to a more portable, more modern, and better documented GUI that we can integrate with the rest of our code.

Code management is not a requirement.

By portable we seek ports to Android, Apple, and Unix environments - not just ports to lots of Microsoft environments.
We are also looking for PDF file support in this kind of environment.

We are also looking for a different debugging environment. Currently, we use Visual Studio 2010. We can stay with this IF the new GUI can be debugged in Visual Studio 2010. We especially don't want to have to use a lot of separate programs, rather we want an integrated development and support environment.
Either or both of these tools must have ongoing bug fixing and we have to be able to know that any new tools will work on our application BEFORE we pay big bucks for them. For the right tools after demonstrating that they work, big bucks is OK.

Are there any potential problems in switching from MFC to GTK? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Moving from MFC to GTK – Whats involved?

Post by catweazel »

Are there any potential problems in switching from MFC to GTK?
With half a million lines of code, which is probably business critical at that, plus a set of highly complex requirements as long as my arm, I wouldn't be asking on an internet forum where some twit whose brain has never experienced an actual passing thought could put my operation in serious jeopardy by telling me, "Jump in! The Water's fine!". I'd be hiring a consultant and getting a professional assessment done.

But hey, it's not my livelihood that's at risk, so...

Jump in! The water's fine!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

I'm not an experienced programmer or especially into GUI but...
We presently have 500,000 lines of C++ code
The C++ implementation of GTK+ is called gtkmm.
It sounds to me like you should look into qt4/qt5 instead.
http://doc.qt.digia.com/solutions/4/qtw ... index.html

Android?
http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/GTK_vs_Qt#Portability

Maybe you should ask in a more programming oriented forum?
gommtu

Post by gommtu »

Thank you for the replies so far.

@dagon - Thank you for the response and some helpful links. I really appreciate it. This may be very useful for what we need.

Return to “MATE”