CPU Compatibility

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Macmeister

CPU Compatibility

Post by Macmeister »

Just installed Mint on an old Dell (so long Vista!), and got to thinking about how Linux Mint (or any flavor of Linux) works with newer hardware. If I were to acquire a new desktop computer would I need to avoid any particular brand or processor chip? I've heard that the new Windows 8 have some sort of "secure boot" thing going on that makes it all but impossible to replace the OS, and that got me thinking.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: CPU Compatibility

Post by bigj231 »

As long as you get an x86 or x86_64 processor, you will be fine. Almost all of the computers sold today come with one of those. AMD or Intel doesn't matter as much as GPU selection.
Also, if you don't want to deal with Windows 8, you can always build your own computer. I'd say if you're smart enough to install Linux with the manual partitioner, and you can replace or install any computer internals, then you shouldn't have a problem building your own system.
Used systems are another option. Another member of this forum got a server-class system for under $500.
Macmeister

Re: CPU Compatibility

Post by Macmeister »

bigj231 wrote:...Also, if you don't want to deal with Windows 8, you can always build your own computer. I'd say if you're smart enough to install Linux with the manual partitioner, and you can replace or install any computer internals, then you shouldn't have a problem building your own system.
I haven't built a system before, but I might just give it a shot. Thanks for the info!

Return to “Beginner Questions”