Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon Installation = Black Screen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MisterChew
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon Installation = Black Screen

Post by MisterChew »

When I plugged my USB Live CD into the computer, the BIOS posted, and it loaded the first-screen of the LiveCD

It prompted me to select either "Start Linux Mint" or "Start in Compatibility mode". I tried installing in both of these modes, but it just gave me a blank screen with a grey rectangular box that reads "INPUT NOT SUPPORTED"

I currently run Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. I am hoping to dual boot with this. I have Linux Mint XFCE running on my netbook.

Specs:
AMD X4 II 630 (OC to 3.5Ghz)
4GB RAM
ATI RADEON 7770

Any help would be appreciate it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon Installation = Black Screen

Post by xenopeek »

I'm assuming your netbook is another computer? The "INPUT NOT SUPPORTED" messages sounds like a message from your display. What display do you have and how is it connected to your ATI RADEON 7770?
MisterChew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MisterChew »

xenopeek wrote:I'm assuming your netbook is another computer? The "INPUT NOT SUPPORTED" messages sounds like a message from your display. What display do you have and how is it connected to your ATI RADEON 7770?
Yes my Netbook is another computer. The system that I am currently having issues with is my desktop PC.

My display is the Acer AL1916W (1440x900x32) connected by DVI to the ATI Radeon 7700.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That makes it more likely that a graphics mode is being set that your display refuses to handle. You may try the following:
1- Boot from the Linux Mint installation DVD / USB
2- During the 10 second count down at boot, press a key to enter the Linux Mint boot menu
3- Using the down arrow key, highlight the second entry in the menu, "compatibility mode"--but don't press Enter, press instead Tab to edit the boot parameters
4- At the end of the line, but before the final double-dash (--), insert the text:

Code: Select all

vga=868
Then continue the boot.

Either it will switch to 1440x900 32-bit color mode, which is what the 868 code means, or you will get a message that this mode 364 (the hexadecimal equivalent of decimal 868) is unsupported. If it does give you that mode unsupported message, it will state you can press Enter to show a list of supported modes. Read the documentation of your Acer AL1916W and find a graphics mode that is both supported by your kernel as displayed on your screen, and supported by your display.

Hopefully you only need to fiddle around with this until you have installed Linux Mint and probably also installed the proprietary drivers for your graphics card.
MisterChew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MisterChew »

After following your instruction, I received the Mode 364 error code, and was given a list of resolutions to try.

Assuming that alphabetical letters are used to distinguish each resolution, I tried several resolutions as indicated in the manual (http://panam.acer.com/acerpanam/manuals ... ser_en.pdf) and none of them worked. I tried 800x600, 1024x768, and 1280x1024 and I still keep getting the INPUT NOT SUPPORTED error message.
MisterChew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MisterChew »

It was not a screen error, rather a graphic's driver issue.

nomodeset fixed it for me.

Return to “Installation & Boot”