Mint menu in Cinnamon?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frsu

Mint menu in Cinnamon?

Post by frsu »

I mainly use Mate because of the Mint menu. Mint menu is the best I have used sofar and I love it.

I have tried Cinnamon, but I did not like the main menu. Did not work for me. As I did not follow the progress of Cinnamon for a while I have this question: Is it possible to install the Mint menu in Cinnamon? If so I would like to try Cinnamon with it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mint menu in Cinnamon?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, frsu.

Actually, I do not quite understand why you are asking. Of course the current Cinnamon desktop 1.6.7 will install the Mint Menu by default.

(Cinnamon 1.6.7 Mint Menu)

What the Mint Menu on the Cinnamon desktop looks like depends on the Cinnamon theme which you activate. - I am using Nightlife Graphite. It was the default theme, if I recall right, on Cinnamon 1.4. And I re-activated it on Cinnamon 1.6.7.

Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replaced local screenshot file with link to upload on imgur.com
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

I think he's asking if you can use the old Mint Menu that we had in say Linux Mint 10 when we only had Gnome 2 and use this in Cinnamon instead of the default Mint Menu that you get.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
frsu

Post by frsu »

Yep Gibbs1984, that is exactly what I mean.
But it is not the old one but the actual one from Minte Nadia 14 Mate.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hm. Check out the available Mint themes and check out what the menu looks like and use the one that is closest to what it looks like in Mate?
There seem to be quite a number of more themes available here: Cinnamon Themes Perhaps one them fits your needs.
Or maybe using an applet will help get what you want. Like e.g. Classic Menu 2.6.9
Last edited by karlchen on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
frsu

Post by frsu »

Hmmm, that seems to give possibilities. I like the Classic Menu possibility.

Can I install Cinnamon besides Mate and choose Cinnamon in the session chooser, so I can try it out without doing a fresh install of Cinnamon first? I have had information earlier here that it is not preferrable but I can not find it anymore.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, frsu.

Very likely we have read similar threads about installing the Mate desktop and the Cinnamon desktop side by side. and we both have not bothered to bookmark any of those threads for future use. :wink:
Mate brings along a fork of the former Gnome2 desktop software, all renamed to mate-something.
Cinnamon brings along a fork of the current Gnome3 desktop software and quite a few genuine Gnome3 software packages.
So they can live side by side.
I assume that a potential problem will be double menu items for all those programmes which come in two diffrent flavours: a Mate flavour and a Cinnamon flavour. - Yet, I have not tried, so this is an assumption only.

Installing Cinnamon in addition to Mate should be fairly easy:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mint-meta-cinnamon
The mint-meta-cinnamon package should make sure that all software packages which are required for the cinnamon desktop and which are not present on your system will be downloaded and installed.

As said before I assume there may be an issue with double application menus and items.
There also may be an issue with the default file manager which handles the desktop: caja (Mate) vs. nemo (Cinnamon).
Yet, all such little nuisances should be solvable.

Cheers,
Karl
Lifeline
frsu

Post by frsu »

Thanks Karl, I am going to give it a try. Will let you know.

BR
Frits
frsu

Post by frsu »

And it works fine. :)

Now I will try to find out how I get the classic menu in....

Tried this from the applet website, it did not work:

frits@frits-E122X ~ $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bimsebasse/cinnamonextras && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install cinnamon-applet-classicmenu
[sudo] password for frits:
Cannot access PPA (https://launchpad.net/api/1.0/~bimsebas ... amonextras) to get PPA information, please check your internet connection.
frits@frits-E122X ~ $

I also unzipped the file in the Local/Shared?cinnamon/Applet etc. as described on the applet page. It is there but not shown in the applet chooser. Or do I have to log out and in first? Tried it without success
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

note that there's 3 instructions in the site to make this applet work
  • Extract the classicMenu@dalcde file to ~/.local/share/cinnamon/applets or /usr/share/cinnamon/applets
  • Then, as root, copy org.cinnamon.applets.classicMenu.gschema.xml to /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/
  • Finally, as root, run the command glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
final remark: that ppa is closed for ages, the maintainer (bimsebasse) already requested the removal of any reference to it.
frsu

Post by frsu »

zerozero wrote:note that there's 3 instructions in the site to make this applet work
  • Extract the classicMenu@dalcde file to ~/.local/share/cinnamon/applets or /usr/share/cinnamon/applets
  • Then, as root, copy org.cinnamon.applets.classicMenu.gschema.xml to /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/
  • Finally, as root, run the command glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
final remark: that ppa is closed for ages, the maintainer (bimsebasse) already requested the removal of any reference to it.
Cannot find: /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/

Also the command is not clear to me, copy/paste exactly what is written in your suggestion?

Return to “Cinnamon”