Logging in as root

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Logging in as root

Postby eldiener on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:19 pm

When I installed Mint 14 KDE I was not asked for a root password. I see that the root password is the same as my user password. Convenient but not secure. No problem. I will login as root and change my password. Lo and behold I am told that logging in as root is not allowed.

How do I change this ?

Needless to say I must be able to login as root and I must be able to change the root password.
eldiener
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Logging in as root

Postby flyboy1565 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 pm

Usually you don't need to be the root user, you only need to be able to envoke sudo privileges. I don't even see my root user as I have one user with sudo powers :smile:

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
flyboy1565
Level 3
Level 3

Postby eldiener on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:01 pm

flyboy1565 wrote:Usually you don't need to be the root user, you only need to be able to envoke sudo privileges. I don't even see my root user as I have one user with sudo powers :smile:

So what are you saying ? Mint has created a Linux distro where there can be no root user and whoever installs the system has root priveleges but must still give root's password every time he wants to do anything ? That is hardly a solution IMO.
eldiener
Level 2
Level 2

Postby flyboy1565 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:30 pm

No, there is a root but you don't need to be the root user just sudo provilies

flyboy1565
Level 3
Level 3

Postby MALsPa on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:05 pm

If you really feel that you absolutely have to have a root account enabled, maybe check this out first: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

I believe you'll find the answer to your question about two-thirds of the way down in that article.

I stick with su in most distros, but in Ubuntu and Mint I've stayed with sudo, with no root account enabled. People debate the pros and cons all the time; I've found that I'm okay with the way it's done in Ubuntu and Mint, though.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby eldiener on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:13 am

MALsPa wrote:If you really feel that you absolutely have to have a root account enabled, maybe check this out first: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

I believe you'll find the answer to your question about two-thirds of the way down in that article.

I stick with su in most distros, but in Ubuntu and Mint I've stayed with sudo, with no root account enabled. People debate the pros and cons all the time; I've found that I'm okay with the way it's done in Ubuntu and Mint, though.

Thanks for the link. Appreciated !

I am as always amazed by the effort of some computer programmers ( I am a programmer myself ) to keep the end-user from "hurting" himself using computer software by creating nonsensical situations. What a waste of time and effort in all cases. I've been in this business long enough to know that 99% of the programming world has no clue as to what programming is about. At least I can use Mint now without giving it up.
eldiener
Level 2
Level 2

Postby MALsPa on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:16 am

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby eldiener on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:54 am

MALsPa wrote:You might enjoy this article: http://www.howtogeek.com/111479/htg-exp ... n-sudo-su/

Thanks ! I understand the ins and outs of these things. But not allowing a user to login as root to do administrative tasks on a Linux distro is just wrong IMO. It only gets worse if some serious problem at startup keeps an end-user from booting/logging in to Mint and there is no way he can then permanently become the root in order to fix the problem.

Mint is a very nice distro but it should not go out of its way to keep knowledgable end-users from doing what is necessary to use the OS.
eldiener
Level 2
Level 2

Postby MALsPa on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:11 am

Well, I've been using Linux distros, including Mint and Ubuntu, for quite awhile now, and really the only time I log in as root is sometimes when using a live session for maintenance purposes or whatever. Otherwise, there's pretty much no reason to do it. I think most Linux users would agree; but, hey, I figure it's your system.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby FreedomOfTheOpenCode on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:06 pm

"But not allowing a user to login as root to do administrative tasks on a Linux distro is just wrong IMO. It only gets worse if some serious problem at startup keeps an end-user from booting/logging in to Mint and there is no way he can then permanently become the root in order to fix the problem."

Yes, the reason I left Windows was to get away from someone else deciding what I can/want/need to do on my PC. I came to this forum precisely because of the situation described above. I could not believe that the first distro I chose makes it so hard to log in to a text session as root. I needed to do this because some packages not in the repository do not install properly using sudo in the mdm.
Last edited by FreedomOfTheOpenCode on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreedomOfTheOpenCode
Level 2
Level 2

Postby MALsPa on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:23 am

FreedomOfTheOpenCode wrote:I cannot believe that the first distro I chose makes it so hard to log in to a text session as root. I needed to do this because some packages not in the repository do not install properly using sudo in the mdm.

In that situation, couldn't you run sudo -i to log into an interactive shell and then install those packages? Either that or run sudo passwd root to enable the root user account? Just wondering.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby FreedomOfTheOpenCode on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:47 pm

MALsPa wrote:In that situation, couldn't you run sudo -i to log into an interactive shell and then install those packages? Either that or run sudo passwd root to enable the root user account? Just wondering.

Actually, I didn't know about those commands. I got very frustrated because the display manager would not let me log in as root, and I couldn't boot straight into a command shell without the display manager starting. I found a way to do that eventually but I locked myself out in the process and had to reinstall many times because I didn't know what I was doing. I have learned a lot about the boot process while doing this and I am much more confident as a result, but I will make a backup image of the hard disk before I try anything else now! I am beginning to believe that there is always a solution to a problem in Linux.
FreedomOfTheOpenCode
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot