[SOLVED] Internet Connection Sharing with iPhone?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
glowsole

[SOLVED] Internet Connection Sharing with iPhone?

Post by glowsole »

Hello all! (I hope this is the correct thread)

A very new user to Linux so patience/detailed help would be incredibly appreciated!

I've just made the transition to Linux Mint 14 (xfce) from WinXP and, while impressed with most aspects of it, I've been battling for the past week with a couple of things, one of which is...

On my Lenovo Thinkpad Z61m, I'm trying to share my ethernet connection as wifi with my iPhone (3GS). First of all, is this even realistic? I've been reading up a bit on this and realized it's not as easy as just Network Connections > New Wireless (Shared) because even when my Apple device recognizes the network and is able to connect to it, it doesn't actually work (can't load webpages etc). But I'm out of ideas and the internet doesn't have many working solutions on this, just "???"s.

Some deets: Linux Mint 14 XFCE 32-bit ... what else is useful?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
glowsole

Re: Internet Connection Sharing with iPhone?

Post by glowsole »

bump?
ChinaJ

Post by ChinaJ »

I had this same problem. My iPhone would connect, but when it finally got an IP address, it was just the internal network (169.254.whatever). It appears that the iPhone doesn't like the "WEP 128-bit Passphrase option". Try disconnecting from the ad-hoc network you made, create a new one, but this time choose "WEP 40/128-bit Key (HEX or ASCII)" for your password security. Then, enter a 5 or 13 digit password (if you try doing one less than five or between five and thirteen characters long, the "Save" button is grayed out). If you kept the same name for your SSID of your new network, then go into your iPhone, tell it to "Forget This Network", then connect again with the new password.

EDIT: Forgot one thing - You might need to go in, once you're connected, and change the DNS server on your iPhone. Just click on the network you're connected to, and then under "DHCP", select the DNS setting (it'll probably be the same as the "Router" address, which is in the same network domain as your IP Address which is given by Mint!). You can use any DNS, and you can put in as many as you like. If you're not familiar with DNS, you can use 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 (those are Google's) or 208.67.220.220 or 208.67.222.222 (those are OpenDNS's). Or just do a search for DNS addresses.

Post by glowsole »

thanks for the tips, ChinaJ, but it's now worse than before...
i'd actually read about the problem with the 128-bit password, but somehow, if at the beginning my iphone recognized this ad-hoc wireless, it doesn't anymore. so i've created a new ad-hoc wireless network on my computer (made it shared to other computers too!), but i can't find it on my iphone anymore (no longer appears as one of the available networks.
i've been starting and giving up on so many "how to fix this..."-s that i must have screwed something up, but i can't remember what or how :(
ChinaJ

Post by ChinaJ »

Hmmm... there's only a couple reasons I can think of for why your iPhone can't see it:

1) The wireless connection somehow didn't get created. Can you make sure it did? Just go down to the Network Connection icon on the bottom right, left-click, and then make sure you see the name of the connection listed and "Disconnect" directly underneath it.
2) It was made a hidden network. Have you tried going into your iPhone and choosing "Other...", then trying to type in the name of your ad-hoc network and password?
glowsole

Post by glowsole »

super confused, but it seems to work now...?! as in, my iphone recognizes the ad-hoc network and can connect to it and can also sort-of surf the web/gmail etc. i have no idea how that happened since all i've been doing has been to create/delete/re-create the same ad-hoc network.

have yet to check if it works with other laptops, but hey, thank you so much for the WEP 40/128-bit Key (HEX or ASCII) password tip - i do think that was a defining moment!

cheers! one problem down...

Return to “Networking”