How to cycle through workspaces in Cinnamon?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Flame_Phoenix

How to cycle through workspaces in Cinnamon?

Post by Flame_Phoenix »

Hello gentleman, I am using Linux Mint 64v with Cinamon. I know how to add virtual desktops (workspaces) one by one, but I can't go from my workspace 3 back to 1 again (per example, assuming I have 3 workspaces), I am always forced to go all the way back, which is really annoying to say the least. I know Ubuntu has this featured enabled, so why can't I have it here too? What steps do I need to make?

PS: To move between desktops I use CTRL + ALT + LEFT (or RIGHT)
Last edited by Flame_Phoenix on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
passerby

Re: How to cycle through workspaces in Cinamon?

Post by passerby »

Are you saying you want to be able to do crtl alt right to move from 3 to 1, or do you just desire some way to jump from one to the other directly?
If you want a direct method, you could use the workspace applet and click on the one you desire, or use Workspace selection/compiz expo.
There are also extensions for similar functionality, such as http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/extensions/view/17
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

This option is not natively present in cinnamon 1.6 but it is in 1.7+
Flame_Phoenix

Post by Flame_Phoenix »

Are you saying you want to be able to do crtl alt right to move from 3 to 1
yes exactly! How do I do it?
or do you just desire some way to jump from one to the other directly?
Certainly would not mind that at all as well :D Thanks for the applet suggestion, but I really feel the need for the first question.
This option is not natively present in cinnamon 1.6 but it is in 1.7+
How do I know which cinamon version I am using?
If I am using 1.6 how can I add the functionality?
If I am using 1.7+ what do I need to do to enable it?
passerby

Post by passerby »

1.7+ aren't yet stable. You can get them, for example, by adding the cinnamon nightly ppa, but I strongly suggest waiting for the next version of Cinnamon to reach stable (and thus become a simple upgrade).
Flame_Phoenix

Post by Flame_Phoenix »

So, that means that for now I can't cycle from 3 to 1? Well that sucks big time -.- Other window managers (like KDE) support it.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

On the other hand, Cinnamon is not a 16-years old project as is KDE. There will be many improvements and new features in the next 1.8 version (1.7 is for devs and testers) due to April 2013.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

I know it doesn't take you there directly as such but you could always use CTRL + ALT + Up which takes you to a sort of overall view of your workspaces.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
Flame_Phoenix

Post by Flame_Phoenix »

I already knew about CTRL+ALT+UP / DOWN. Suffice to say it's simply not the same thing - it's worst. xD
Guess I'll have to wait.
mideal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mideal »

Even if this thread is old, I'd like to complete it with a current solution:

The reason why it's not possible to switch directly from 3 to 1 by CTRL-ALT-RIGHT is because
THAT ist used to switch from 1 to 2, from 2 to 3, from 3 to 4...
(as CTRL-ALT-LEFT switches the other way).

If You want to switch directly you have to use an appropriate keybinding, per default
(at least currently in Cinnamon 2.x) that is SHIFT-CTRL-1 (or exclamation mark) for workspace1,
SHIFT-CTRL-2 for Workspace 2 and so on. with § and $ for 3 and 4.

Naming and/or binding may differ if you have a French (or other) keyboard layout, English and german versions do match in this point.
Yoga 910 16GB/2TB running Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 64Bit
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Activate a HOT CORNER for the Workspace Expo View. ("Show all Workspaces")
Menu > Preferences > System Settings > Hot Corners
HotCorners.png
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
theironknuckle

Post by theironknuckle »

Just a note that this is still broken in the latest Linux Mint. Why isn't there a simple "cycle through workspaces" function similar to how you can "alt-tab" and "shift-alt-tab" to cycle through the list of open windows? There's nothing in the hotkeys except for "cycle left" and "cycle right". this simply will not do.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

theironknuckle wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:07 am Just a note that this is still broken in the latest Linux Mint. Why isn't there a simple "cycle through workspaces" function similar to how you can "alt-tab" and "shift-alt-tab" to cycle through the list of open windows? There's nothing in the hotkeys except for "cycle left" and "cycle right". this simply will not do.
It's not broken, it's just not enabled out of the box - Menu > Preferences > Workspaces > Check Allow Cycling through Workspaces. Cycle left and cycle right will now wrap around when you get to the last or first workspace.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
mideal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mideal »

smurphos wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:37 am
theironknuckle wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:07 am Just a note that this is still broken in the latest Linux Mint. Why isn't there a simple "cycle through workspaces" function similar to how you can "alt-tab" and "shift-alt-tab" to cycle through the list of open windows? There's nothing in the hotkeys except for "cycle left" and "cycle right". this simply will not do.
It's not broken, it's just not enabled out of the box - Menu > Preferences > Workspaces > Check Allow Cycling through Workspaces. Cycle left and cycle right will now wrap around when you get to the last or first workspace.
That's interesting, in some former version that didn't work for me no matter how I set that switch, even after resets, so I forgot and/or ignored that in my answer above. Thanks, smurphos!
Yoga 910 16GB/2TB running Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 64Bit
Level 12
Level 12

Re: How to cycle through workspaces in Cinnamon?

Post by absque fenestris »

I use the scroll wheel ...
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: How to cycle through workspaces in Cinnamon?

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Since this is an old thread and the question that revived it has even been answered, time to lock this.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”