Manjaro 0.8.2

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The Dark Side

Re: Manjaro 0.8.2

Post by The Dark Side »

Estimated: I could not stand it, and I tested the latest versions of Manjaro Linux 0.8.3, versions KDE, XFCE and MATE. The three versions that actually work reaches very fast download without doubt Manjaro Linux is growing rapidly. The KDE version is a luxury, and the MATE version is very fast ..... When can I try the Cinnamon version.-

Yes, there are two things that I did not like XFCE version: LibreOffice who brought eliminated and instead put an installer (I imagine it will be to reduce the image size. iso). I do not like to have removed Mozilla Firefox and Midori no longer default only. Small details, but I would like to keep both programs in the image .iso. Greetings.-
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Dear: I downloaded and tested version Manjaro Linux 0.8.3 Cinnamon, works incredibly well, its a luxury. While it is said that this version only brings Cinnamon, if you log off and then choose Gnome on the menu that will appear, appears a kind of Gnome Fallback (not really carefull), but Gnome is half hidden. Cinnamon works very, very well.-

If they continue on this path, this distribution has an incredible future ahead, Manjaro Linux comes with everything ..... Best regards.-
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Dear: I downloaded and tested the latest version has been released from Manjaro Linux (0.8.4). I tested version Cinnamon and XFCE versions, unfortunately there is no official version of Manjaro Linux KDE, another version that happens to be maintained by the Community. I have nothing against it, should have a small team, but it seems a miss that so many community versions. Would be interesting to Manjaro Linux again have the official version with KDE and there was an official version with Mate.-

Returning to the new version 0.8.4: Version Cinnamon actually has excellent esthetics, undoubtedly an implementation very well realized, but still has the same fault as the version 0.8.3, the log can not load correctly the environment Gnome 3, load correctly Gnome Fallback. On the XFCE version, its not bad, but unfortunately the Firefox browser have been removed and replaced it by Chromium browser, do not agree this decision for my Firefox browser is the best without any doubt. LibreOffice also removed in this version, but can be installed later.-
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

I tried the openbox and Xfce versions in Virtual Box before I installed first 0.8.3 recently and then 0.8.4 on my laptop. I like Manjaro a lot and think that as an Arch-based distro it has much potential, but it still needs a bit more polish before I'd consider using it as my primary distro. So far, Mint Cinnamon or Xfce is what I always go back to.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

3fRI wrote:I tried the openbox and Xfce versions in Virtual Box before I installed first 0.8.3 recently and then 0.8.4 on my laptop. I like Manjaro a lot and think that as an Arch-based distro it has much potential, but it still needs a bit more polish before I'd consider using it as my primary distro. So far, Mint Cinnamon or Xfce is what I always go back to.
I'm looking forward to them improving and polishing the Arch base. I think the "0" implies that they aren't actually at an official release yet, all of these are kind of stable development releases.
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

I've just finished downloading Manjaro! It certainly seems like an extremely interesting distro!
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Is it just my imagination, or do they now (as of version 0.8.5-pre1) really use LMDE's Live Installer and MDM as the bases for their live installer and display manager?
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

I tried Manjaro two weeks ago... There are some nice parts and some I don't like.
It's fast and it's really easy to upgrade the kernel.

Code: Select all

sudo mhwd-kernel linux38
install everything for you. Nice! Impressive!
But in two weeks, I had 500Mo of upgrades. That's too big for me.

The most amazing part was that I was obliged to upgrade the kernel 3.4 (with nvidia drivers...) but I had already installed the 3.8. That's non sense.
I still prefer apt to manage my system over pacman.

Finally I discovered that the official repo for Arch can't be used with manjaro. I think AUR is possible.

So, that's interesting, but I still prefer the Debian world.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Too many updates, so I think that together make updates to the system losing stability. Manjaro is seen to have a very promising future, but for now I stay with Linux Mint KDE or Kubuntu, or Debian, the distributions are more serious and more stability.-

Certainly, I am surprised to see that no more Manjaro KDE ?? They say he became Community, but has not yet exited the new image .iso Manjaro KDE ?? A shame, as the 0.8.2 and 0.8.3 worked really well.-
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

Jose Manuel wrote:Too many updates, so I think that together make updates to the system losing stability. Manjaro is seen to have a very promising future, but for now I stay with Linux Mint KDE or Kubuntu, or Debian, the distributions are more serious and more stability.-

Certainly, I am surprised to see that no more Manjaro KDE ?? They say he became Community, but has not yet exited the new image .iso Manjaro KDE ?? A shame, as the 0.8.2 and 0.8.3 worked really well.-
Manjaro offers KDE. See: http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php

I'm running Manjaro 0.8.4 Xfce on both my laptop and desktop. I've run it on the laptop for a couple of weeks and it's been rock solid stable. Some apps I install via terminal and cli, others I install with either the GUI installer or with AUR.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

I installed Manjaro, and while it's an immature distro, it's not bad, though I wouldn't go fanboy crazy and claim it was 'awesome'. The repositories are a bit weak too. It'll do as a fallover OS. Perhaps in a few years when it's had more polish put into it it'll be a good distro.

And all of that is far more than can be said of Sabayon. Good grief. What an awful mess that is.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

TehGhodTrole wrote:I installed Manjaro, and while it's an immature distro, it's not bad, though I wouldn't go fanboy crazy and claim it was 'awesome'. The repositories are a bit weak too. It'll do as a fallover OS. Perhaps in a few years when it's had more polish put into it it'll be a good distro.

And all of that is far more than can be said of Sabayon. Good grief. What an awful mess that is.
I don't understand your comment about the repositories because you can also access Arch's AUR directly via terminal and find just about any package out there. For a young distro, it's evolving very quickly and getting more polished with each release. Having played a bit with the most recent 0.8.5 pre-release, 0.8.5 promises significant improvement over prior releases. At this rate, I doubt if it'll take Manjaro's developers years before it's a "good distro." IMHO, it's already a fine distro and perhaps more polished than some that have been around much longer, which is worth mentioning since the Manjaro development team is relatively small.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

I was so disappointed to see that the Manjaro team took the development version of MDM (HTML5 login) and ship it by default under the name of Manjaro Desktop Manager....

What ????? :shock:
This is definitely not sportsmanship. They could have changed the name or if they want to call it MDM then it should be the Mint Desktop Manager.

I will no more use this distro and will never recommend it to someone. That's not the way things work !
If I want an Arch Distro, I will use Arch :wink:
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

killer de bug wrote:I was so disappointed to see that the Manjaro team took the development version of MDM (HTML5 login) and ship it by default under the name of Manjaro Desktop Manager....

What ????? :shock:
This is definitely not sportsmanship. They could have changed the name or if they want to call it MDM then it should be the Mint Desktop Manager.

I will no more use this distro and will never recommend it to someone. That's not the way things work !
If I want an Arch Distro, I will use Arch :wink:
FYI: philm at Manjaro said the following about MDM in the newest test release:

"Alot of work went into our graphical installer we forked from Linux Mint. Thanks flies out to Clement and his team. We teaked it a little to fit for Archlinux based Distros. For now only installation on one harddrive is properly supported, but you can mount other other partitions by hand if you choose the manual option. I recommend to use our cli-installers for this matter which offers still all the features like efi-support and makes it possible to install Manjaro on your Macs."

See:http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topi ... 3#msg23423
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

That's the graphical installer they are talking about ;)

See this : http://manjaro.org/2013/03/06/manjaro-d ... r-preview/
They don't say anything about Linux Mint and Clem...

Somewhere on the blog you can read :
Another change will be the new html-based display manager using webkit for displaying the login screen. With a graphical settings tool plus theme emulator you can costumize the display manager easily to your liking. From auto-login, remote-login to userlist editing – all options can be done by a click of your mouse.
No mention of Linux Mint...
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

The point is that the Manjaro developers admit that they've forked and based the GUI installer for the next upgrade on Mint and admit it and give credit to Clem and the Mint team. As for MDM, you can check the Manjaro forums about the discussion. It seems that using MDM is not yet cast in stone. It's not part of the 0.8.4 release, but does existing in the 0.8.5 most recent testing pre-release. If MDM actually becomes a Manjaro feature, I'd be surprised if Carl and the Manjaro developers didn't give credit where it was due. Meanwhile, how many Ubuntu-based distros give credit to Shuttleworth and Ubuntu for their forks? :roll:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

3fRI wrote:
TehGhodTrole wrote:I don't understand your comment about the repositories because you can also access Arch's AUR directly via terminal and find just about any package out there.
It seems you did understand it because you offered a solution.
At this rate, I doubt if it'll take Manjaro's developers years before it's a "good distro."
Thanks for that. Let's hope so.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

I have never experienced Arch before so I thought this would be a good thing to try. 0.8.4 32bit Xfce in VBox- installer worked well (though not pretty). The first thing I tried, Updater, just gives me dumb looks and it is a pita to understand sorting it out. Will keep trying though as it looks to have promise.

Pat
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

palo wrote:I have never experienced Arch before so I thought this would be a good thing to try. 0.8.4 32bit Xfce in VBox- installer worked well (though not pretty). The first thing I tried, Updater, just gives me dumb looks and it is a pita to understand sorting it out. Will keep trying though as it looks to have promise.

Pat
There have been issues with Updater, but I'm not sure how much you can do with it in VB. Personally, I prefer to test with a HDD install and find it easier to update using the terminal: sudo pacman -Syy and then sudo pacman -Syyu I recommend checking out the Manjaro forums (very active and helpful participants) and the wiki. :)
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Yep - updating with the terminal works (128 not too bad really). I still have to figure out the "add software" terminal speak though. I will get it figured out and hope the GUI gets some polish before the next release. I will try a HDD install next on an aging desktop which fails to run Mint Cinnamon 13 and runs Maya Xfce with issues. If it runs Manjaro with kernel 3.7.10 without issues I might wet myself.

Pat

Edit: Reboot after the updates and now the add software GUI shows what's available - impressed.
Also installed the CE E17 version - has the graphic installer and includes Firefox - must play :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”